back to article Mozilla submits browserless Firefox to Jobsian app police

Mozilla has submitted its browserless Firefox application to the Apple App Store. The open source outfit has no intention of submitting Firefox itself. It doesn't want to take the browser where it's not wanted. But it has built an iPhone version of Firefox Sync, the browser bookmark-syncing service formerly known as Weave, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ripratm
    FAIL

good reporting

Good reporting, just think of how good it would have been with out the snarky, smart ass comments. You could have just wrote the article stating the facts with out the "jesus phone" and the other snarky remarks geared towards Apple.

I'm not trying to defend Apple here but come on at least make an effort to come across being indifferent.

1. Andy Burgess

Indifferent

You think elreg has built a reputation based on indifference?! Interesting...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Look at the Author...

He is incapable of not trying to be a smart-ass when he is reporting about Apple or the iPhone. It's pathological with him. Come on Cade, tell the class *why* you think the way you do...

2. Lyle Dietz

Re: good reporting

"just think of how good it would have been with out the snarky, smart ass comments"

Pretty boring actually. Aren't the smart ass, errr donkey, errr arse comments exactly why we read El Reg in the first place?

3. HoverDonkey
      WTF?

This is El Reg!

What do you expect?

If you want "on the fence" reporting, then look at CNET, not here!

4. Lou Gosselin

Not a big deal

1. Apple are the ones who think they're better than the register and it's readers as it's well known that apple refuses to admit reg reports to its functions. The language chosen in apple articles is often a reflection of apple's own behavior.

2. There are a number of places people can go to get their news, but sarcasm and "snarky, smart ass comments" are a differentiator for the reg, and it's for this reason many of us are here.

5. Real Ale is Best
      Boffin

Eh?

This is The Register. If you don't want snarky, smart ass comments, go and read Wired, or something.

6. nichomach
      Stop

Why, exactly?

This is The Register, not the FT or the independent; they report, certainly, but they also opine and are sarky about most companies. That's one of the reasons I like them.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

I suggest

"I'm not trying to defend Apple here but come on at least make an effort to come across being indifferent."

You go to heise.de if you want lame reporting.

King Steve's control freakery is something a lot of peple have issues with.

8. Annihilator
      Thumb Down

Biting the hand that feeds IT

You have seen the tagline, right?

Mind you, congrats on what must be a record in down-votes on these forums!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

@Annihilator

Schoolyard jibes are hardly "Biting the hand that feeds IT."

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ripratm

You don't come here often do you?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh but

You forget that Ell Reg is a snarky smart ass site which would just be yet another tech site without the added injection of geeky humour. Pop along to http://www.itproportal.com/ for some boring tech news with no added snark if the jesus phone comments are too much for your delicate funny bone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahh but...

You forget that for it to qualify as an injection of geeky humour it needs to be actually funny!

3. MacRat
    FAIL

Biased Much?

"But Apple could always make up some other reason for banning the thing."

Did Steve Jobs sleep with your wife or something?

4. Carol Orlowski
    Coat

Does this version...

run flash?

5. Andy Burgess
    FAIL

Indifferent

You think that elreg has built a reputation based on indifference?! Interesting....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

indifferent

I think you meant impartial. If he was indifferent, he wouldn't have bothered writing the article.

Having said that, if you want the illusion of impartiality, I suggest you only expose yourself to opinions with which you wholeheartedly agree.

7. Chris Hatfield
    Badgers

sounds cool

It should get approved. One less reason for MobileMe, which has the unique quality of sucking and blowing, at the same time.

I am an Apple user. I use Mozilla almost always on my Mac. I shall be displeased if this app is rejected.

8. SilverWave
    Boffin

Where's the app for my Android then?

Really I would actually find that useful....

1. bean520
      Jobs Horns

Coming later this year...un-neutered

Mozilla are releasing a COMPLETE version of Firefox for Android phones later this year. A development build is already available, but don't expect plain sailing atm

iHate - Because the same can't be said for devices running iCrapOS

9. MacroRodent
    Thumb Up

Re: Ahh but

Exactly right. The irreverent humour of The Register is one of its best parts. Holy cows sometimes need to be gored, and I enjoy it even when I occasionally find El reg goring one of my own...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Long live the snarky

It's one of the reasons I read El Reg.

@ripratm - Did you mean impartial? If they were indifferent they probably wouldn't be reporting it.

Besides, if you've a problem with people using phrases like "Jobsian app police" and "make up some other reason" maybe you should direct your complaints to Mr Jobs, it's not like they're baseless accusations.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

The Ten Commandments

1.) There is only One Good. His Name is The Steve.

2.) Thou shalt not have any other gods next to The Steve.

3.) Do not break the marriage you have with the JesusPhone The Steve has given you. Never touch anything from the heathen Nokias or Samsungs.

4.) Thou shalt not run applications which your God The Steve disapproves of.

5.) Do not write wicked Languages which your God The Steve has condenmed for eternety.

6.) Only buy JesusPhones from the local distributor The Steve has appointed. Don't do wicked direct imports from the US.

7.) Sing halleluja whenever The Steve appears.

8.) Never depict The Steve. Depicting The Steve is always derogatory.

9.) Don't kill a JesusPhone, or the wrath of The Steve will condemn you to eternal suffering in the MacOS 9 hell.

10.) Never ever break the jail The Steve has erected to stop you from running applications which have been identified Impure By Our God The Steve.

Or just the fsck buy an Android.

12. Juan Inamillion
    Jobs Horns

Never mind that

In a bit of a hurry here and misread that line near the end as "...send them down to the Jesus Phone as satanic content."

I think we should be told.

13. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

ffs

why cant they grow some fucking balls and tell apple where to shove it ??

i really dont get it..

If i go to a pub and im told i cant buy Beer i dont meekly turn round and beg for scraps !!!

I GO TO ANOTHER PUB !!!

not a bash at apple actually a bash at the weak assed companies that lick the floor for dribbles of coolaid !

1. DZ-Jay

Re: ffs

Because in spite of all the bitching and moaning by El Reg and the Apple haters, and after all accusations are made and fingers are pointed, it turns out that the majority of consumers do not really care about all that and *still* purchase the damn device. (How dare the unwashed masses ignore their brilliant and insightful observations!)

And of course, since it sells like gangbusters, everybody needs to make sure they ride the bandwagon, lest they risk being left behind and made irrelevant.

You see, it's not a matter of *principles* (that's for the forum trolls and bloggers), it's a matter of *money*, and--right now--the iPhone is where the money is.

-dZ.

1. Lionel Baden

well

Up to a point you are right

But the fact that apple piss on so many developers if they checked their nuts were still attached and not owned by apple by sneak T+C's they would stop developing for them.

They are not the only market available.

And how much money will firefox make out of this or is it a Frrebie ??

my guess they make nothing out of it.

So if yes, we can base it entirely on principles.

1. DZ-Jay

@Lionel Baden

>> "But the fact that apple piss on so many developers if they checked their nuts were still attached and not owned by apple by sneak T+C's they would stop developing for them."

That would be true, except that history says differently. Developers, partners, computer manufacturers, media companies, et al have shown a remarkable ability to endure in the face of abuse and oppression from a single company, if that company is perceived to be in control. Case in point, Microsoft and it's previous wont of influencing and controlling the OEM distribution of desktop operating systems.

This happens over and over. There is money to be made, there is an established market, and so, as the saying goes, "better the devil you know than the devil you don't." Doubly so, if such market is considered a long term strategy for future growth and profit. Apparently, the App Store is regarded as such. Hence, money before principles.

If all this sounds a bit hypocritical, that's not a coincidence.

-dZ.

1. Lionel Baden
            Pint

ah well

ill just stay away from company policy then :D

its friday i rekon a crate is in order !!!!

2. Maliciously Crafted Packet

I think your right about the money...

The buggers sold 1.7 million iPhone 4Gs in 3 days. Not that I have any reliable data but when you include the iPad and the still popular iPhone 3GS gut instinct tells me that iOS is out selling Android at this moment in time, and by quite a large margin.

Its possible Android will out sell iPhone at some point, but I suspect a large proportion of these sales will be in emerging economies where sw piracy is rife, where people will not be able to afford to pay very much for apps and where ad revenues are relatively low.

Android gives you the freedom but when it comes to putting bread on the table iOS looks a better bet from where I'm standing.

3. Lou Gosselin

Re: Re: ffs

"You see, it's not a matter of *principles* (that's for the forum trolls and bloggers), it's a matter of *money*, and--right now--the iPhone is where the money is."

Well, that actually sums up apple's policy towards customers quite well.

1. Lionel Baden
          FAIL

missing my point by a freaking mile !!

if the App is going to be free which it most likley is going to be

WHERE IS THE MONEY !!!!

1. DZ-Jay

@Lionel Baden

The money comes from the Mozilla maintaining relevancy, and thus extending its lifetime. If, say, Firefox is obsoleted on the desktop by Chrome and IE9, and the most popular mobile platforms do not offer Firefox, then what is the reason for the existence of the Mozilla Foundation? Soon funding would be reduced and donations disappear.

When I say "the iPhone is where the money is," I mean it is the hottest property where everybody feels they need to be. Some of that "need" is strategically, not necessarily financially..

-dZ.

2. DZ-Jay

@Lou Gosselin

Speaking of forum trolls...

-dZ.

1. Lou Gosselin

@DZ-Jay

"Speaking of forum trolls... -dZ."

This is a tad hypocritical isn't it? I'll give credit where it's due, you are very good at trolling.

14. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I thought you said they don't need a reason.

"Firefox Home doesn't violate the "no interpreted code" rule. But Apple could always make up some other reason for banning the thing."

I thought from previous reports that they don't need to make up a reason. They don't need to give a reason. They don't need to have a reason, although my sense of causality is offended if they don't. Really I suppose the reason would be tainting the holy device with second-hand contact with thirty-party code execution, plus WebM video playing, and indirectly leading iPhone users into those sins, but if Apple don't want to say that, they don't have to say anything more than No.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like