back to article French regulator orders Google to reinstate Gatso-buster's account

Google has "a dominant position in search advertising", said France's antitrust authority today as it gave the company four months to open up about its cancellation of the AdWords account of Navx, a vendor of speed camera warning devices. Ominously for Google, the regulator also noted the company's 90 per cent share of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let Me Guess?

Google have come under pressure in a country where such devices are not legal for sale so they have cancelled the accounts wherever the retaillers happen to be based.

It's curious that a lot of Americans companies make the mistake of operating as if Europe were a single country ruled by a unified law. It's curious because their homeland may be a single country, but some laws differ from state to state and they presumably don't have similar problems there.

1. Dapprman

Not quite

The possession of active speed trap detection devices is illegal, but the data as to where traps are is not. Thus in theory a GPS speed trap locator device, such as a Road Angel or Pogoalert are legal over there, however I do know of motorists watching as they've been confiscated then destroyed in front of their eyes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

GPS units

Does this apply to speed cameras and such like plotted as POIs on normal GPS units, would you know? Like most people I find speed cameras by this method as I am driving.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

No

They are perfectly legal. However, they will pick up dummy cameras as well as the real ones, and pick up the places where mobile cameras can be sited whether they are there or not at the time you are driving and they don't always pick up temporary cameras at road works.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

What?

"Does this apply to speed cameras and such like plotted as POIs on normal GPS units, would you know? Like most people I find speed cameras by this method as I am driving."

No. Most people find speed cameras when driving by looking for the huge yellow boxes on poles. It's much more reliable.

2. Jelliphiish

borked?

lotsa overlap and such on your layout here.. ff3.5.5.. btw

top of pages ahs lumps of black and other stuff borked all ove..

3. Jelliphiish

fixed..

or so it would appear.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google response

Wouldn't be to redirect searches from French IP addresses to www.google.be would it?

This topic is closed for new posts.