back to article Mozilla turns out Firefox 4 beta candidate builds

Update: This story originally said that Mozilla had released the first Firefox 4 beta. But the beta has not been officially released. Last week, Mozilla told us the first beta would arrive "within days." Mozilla has released a candidate build for the first Firefox 4 beta. Developer builds of the open source outfit's next- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Liam Thom
    WTF?

Uncluttered

Which numpty decided to make it have no title bar by default? You seem to be only able to have a title bar if you have a menu bar.

2. fishman

Release

I guess you could call this the alpha beta release, and the real release the master beta.

3. karl 15
    Unhappy

Fix this

New tabs are still opened as blank tabs, so i still need a addon for that!

and loads of unused space at the top, why?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

@Karl

What do you want new tabs opened as?

1. Cucumber C Face
        Megaphone

re: What do you want new tabs opened as?

99.9% users - their default homepage

0.1% users - a.n.other URL of their choosing.

I don't know why the 'big three' (IE, FF, Opera) screw this up in their various ways (i.e. overkill or dumb blank pages).

I >know< there are add-ons for it in FF but given the frivolous eye candy bloat that's now in the core build - it's bizarre this practical and simple feature is not included.

Same goes for 'clone tab' functionality - I don't want to drag and drop the bleeder or fiddle arse add ons. Right mouse click - clone tab - done!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

I most certainly wouldn't want a new tab to open as my default homepage. Why get the browser to go to all the effort of loading and rendering that page when I want to go somewhere else anyway?

A blank tab for me please! I can then go where I want once it is opened. (Apart from links, It is still easier to open a new tab then go where you want rather than mess about with the right click menu.)

Actually, is there any such thing as a homepage anymore? I do have a page associated with that funny little house icon, but I tend to think as my homepages as the ones I always have open in tabs no matter what. Now that I think about it what I really need is a way to ensure a particular tab stays within the designated site and all external refereneces open in a new tab. (So my homepages stay where they are) I guess there is probably an add-on for that but I can't be bothered looking.

2. Teoh Han Hui

I would think that showing pinned and/or frequently visited sites ala Google Chrome and Opera's Speed Dial would be much more useful.

3. Daniel Warner

99.9% eh? Are you making figures up? I NEVER want my default homepage opened when I open a new tab, in any of the browsers. The best system is either Chrome or Opera where it opens a page with 'speed dial' type boxes. Chrome's system of the most frequently accessed pages seems the best to me, but Opera's speed dial system where you pick the pages is also good. However, a blank page is ok too as when I open tab, it's to go somewhere specific, not just to go 'home' - that's what the 'Home' button is for!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

New tabs?

Pr0n, of course.

I'll get me raincoat.

3. karl 15
        Happy

sry should have said new tabs open my homepage.

1. Cucumber C Face
          Happy

'homepage' as new tab

I wasn't suggesting "open new tabs with homepage " shoud be compulsory - just an easily configured option.

Lots of people either have a 'portal' page e.g. for the business they work for, or use (say) Google (personalised or vanilla) as the starting point for the majority of their navigations.

Some dinosaurs even maintain their bookmarks within an HTML file (like in the old Nutscape days) and set that as their homepage. Not that I'm one of those of course {cough}.

4. afv011

Too little too late

Changed to Chrome after Firefox became more and more bloated, and I'm not going back.

1. Mips
      Jobs Halo

Time...

...to look at Opera

5. The Unexpected Bill
    Happy

Windows 2000 Users, I am thrilled to report...

This pre-beta of Firefox 4.0 runs perfectly on Windows 2000. It also seems quite stable.

So it ain't over just yet...

I'm not sure what I think of the new UI just yet...

6. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Does this new beta reduce the bloat?

Does this new beta remove the hideous memory consuming plugin-container.exe that turned up in the latest update?

Heres a tip Mozilla, when something thats designed as simply a plugin manager uses the same amount of memory as the entirety of Firefox, thats what we call an excessive resource hog!

I'll try Firefox 4 when it comes out, but for now im shifting to Opera or Chrome...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The plugin updater contains the plugins

It's the plugins that the container is running (Flash, Java or whatever) that cause that .exe to look bloated, since they count as part of it. On the upside the main process should now be looking much smaller than it used to

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Nope not for me it doesnt...

For me, this isnt the case. Firefox used to take up about 250MB of memory with my usual 3-4 tabs open (which i still think is ridiculously large for just a couple of websites). Now with the new version, Firefox still uses 250MB but now i also have plugin-container.exe taking up another 250MB.

Sorry Firefox is gone from my computer and wont be making a re-appearance until it drops the bloat, which unfortunately i dont see happening anytime soon...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

In other news

3dRealms says that Duke Nukem Forever will "arrive within days".

8. karl 15
    Thumb Up

The Register is a must

I fully agree with Cucumber C Face.

I love Fire Fox (thats right love, but don't tell the Wife lol) but not enough options, is as bad as too many.

All that is needed is "open new tab as blank, or homepage", that wont bloat it

My homepage is iGoogle with a The Register widget in the center.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like