back to article Google Chrome will block out-of-date plug-ins

Google will soon prevent insecure versions of plug-ins from running on top of its Chrome browser to make sure they don't contain security bugs that can be exploited by malicious websites. In a blog post, members of Google's security team said the feature, to be delivered "medium-term," will prevent Chrome from running "certain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Sorry ?

What is this nonsense ? It is not because a plugin has a new version that my "old" version has all of a sudden become a liability.

On the other hand, the new version may well have a change in functionality that does not suit my needs immediately, and I might need some time to adapt to the new functionality.

Apparently, that does not matter for Google. It will block the plugin I have and basically force me to install the new one before I'm ready.

Google is decidedly looking more and more like a net-nanny. Now Google is deciding what apps you can and should have on your Android, and will helpfully force you to accept or do without whatever Google decides you need or don't need. Shortly, Google will force plugin versions on Chrome users whether they like it or not. And, in a few years, it'll be Google whitelisting web sites and Chrome users won't be able to visit any other.

Well I have only one thing to say to all this : you know what happens to a nanny, Google ?

Kids outgrow them, and go on to do stuff their way.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Boffin

Close...

Old plug-ins with security problems or bugs which produce crashes are also blocked on firefox.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And agin

"Chrome was the only browser at the recent Pwn2Own hacker contest that wasn't exploited. ®"

Opera wasn't exploited either. Infact Opera is what alot of the hackers actually use because if it's security track record.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fail...

..what happens if the updated version contains bugs / flaws that mean it cannot run correctly . This means you have no roll back option. Or do the Overlords deem it better to have no plug at all, rather than one that *MAY* be at risk (more often down to the site you vist, not the browser you use).

If there is no overirde, then an utter fail

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

and at what point...

will google be able to install and remove plug-ins to your browser...

6. Fred 4

and what about...

the situation where a plugin becomes 'old' (what is that 3 weeks?)

and there is no replacement?

This topic is closed for new posts.