back to article Daily Mail breaks iPhone 4 recall scoop

The Daily Mail yesterday reported Apple may recall the iPhone 4. It based the story on “confirmation” from a Steve Jobs Twitter account clearly marked as a spoof. While Twitter account 'ceoSteveJobs' has over one million followers, reporter Richard Ashmore overlooked a vital piece of information prominently displayed in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this is what happens

when journalists are too lazy to do some actual work...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wait. What?

There are journalists at the Mail you say?

Wow, you learn something new every day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Mail in looking shit up shock!

At least there was a source for this story, they could have just made up that it caused cancer or something as normal

3. Elmer Phud
    Pint

Spherical - pulral

The Maul, publishing fictional stories based on what someone heard from the bloke down the pub whose missus learnt it from the hairdresser whose boyfriend works for the Daily Mail?

Shirley not, never happens etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, no, no and no again

The Dailymail make up stories so they can get the expected reaction form their readership which keeps them buying the paper.

A bit like El Reg, sometimes it's not worth reading the comments because you already know what they are going to be.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Troll

Fake Steve Jobs

He makes more sense that the real one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprised?

They clearly are.

Then newspaper producers wonder why so fewer people buy their product any more, or are willing to pay for it online. The art of news journalism has been reduced (save for a few notable publications) to googling for news stories and padding them with twitter crap or wiki-spurge. This is something which people can now do on their own computers at home.

Little insight is provided, analysis tends to be woeful at best, and aside from the odd hate-filled rant (I'm looking at you, Brooker) which is genuinely amusing, the main-stream newspaper producers provide little, if anything, worth reading any more.

Hell, with the advancement of health and safety, newspaper isn't even deemed worthy to wrap fish and chips these days.

6. Adam Targett

So according to the Mail was this caused by...

...Cancer or Immigrants?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Bill Thompson

Didn't this venerable BBC technology correspondent recently find to his surprise that his Wikipedia entry had him down as having died? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10419271.stm

It was in Wikipedia, so it MUSt be true...

8. Mark McC
    Thumb Up

Don't be so harsh

I'm going to be optimistic and look at this as a positive step forward for British tabloid journalism. At least they've graduated to using sources (albeit spoof ones) for their stories instead of just pulling them out of their arse.

9. Bear Features
    Stop

and the real point?

The real point here is that it should be recalled!

10. Justabloke 1
    FAIL

Marquis

They didn't even notice that Damon Hill was standing in for Jobs!!! :o

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spot the Difference

Q. What's the difference between this and every other story in the Fail?

A. The hacks didn't know this one was made up.

12. yargnad
    FAIL

Intolerance

My last, slightly humorous and mildly offensive(at least to el Reg) was moderated. I guess el Reg leans towards the Orwellian side of the spectrum. Resetting my homepage to http://www.theinquirer.net for my news reading satisfaction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Intolerance

Your post about "emaciated" Steve Jobs was deleted after publication in response to reader complaints.

Orwellian? I don't think so.

13. Sureo

Good thing....

newspapers are publishing online these days, it makes it much easier to recall a screwed-up story.

14. Flugal
    FAIL

Daily Fail

Daily Mail: Written by idiots. Read by idiots.

At least this time their lack of checking the accuracy of their story won't result in children getting measles etc. as per their MMR lunacy.

15. Jim Bob

Churnalism rules!

For those of you who haven't read it, Flat Earth News is worth a punt. But it IS written by a journo so buyer beware ;o)

16. Alistair Wall

not just the mail

http://service-architecture.blogspot.com/2010/06/orange-say-that-iphone-4-has-been.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like