back to article Nokia delivers huge profits hike

Nokia's swallowed an estimated 39 per cent of the global mobile phone market in its third quarter, sending profits rocketing 85 per cent. Net income hit £1.09bn, compared to £590.3m for the same period a year ago. A gold star goes to Nokia's Enterprise Solutions division, which boosted its revenues 105 per cent. Overall, sales …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg's usual approach to statistics

"Nokia's bid to sell "multimedia computers" instead of cheapo phones took another knock: the average selling price for one of its handsets slid 8.9 per cent to just over £57."

Erm... if you read the actual report you'll see that Nokia's Multimedia Computer division reported a 57% growth in profit and a 23% growth in sales. How can you interpret these as a "knock" in any conceivable way?

The average sale price went down because of enormous growth in phones in the developing world, but enormous growth in one area doesn't cancel out large growth in another.

I only did A-Level Stats 1, but even I know not to mistake averages for individual performance.

3. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

@Anonymous Coward

Hi,

It's a matter of interpretation, not statistical error. Nokia would like its phones' average selling price to go up. It hasn't, despite the "multimedia computer" marketing. Ergo: it's a knock to that strategy. Cheers,

Chris Williams

El Reg

4. Leroy Fevrius
    Happy

To Chris

Sorry but thats like laughing at someone because they only made 2 Billion clear profit instead of 3I

Thats spin worthy of NU Lab! Man up and admit, you wanted to say something too show them in a bad light, and this was the best you could come up with, you'll feel better.

5. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

@Leroy Fevrius

Hi,

I'm touched by your comparison with Campbell, Whelan et al. Unfortunately I'm not vindictive enough to command that kind of salary. It's a genuine point that Nokia is heavily reliant on its cheapest handsets, and you can bet its execs will be discussing it. See here for some background: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/05/nokia_budget_growth_reliance/

It's self-evidently a strong set of results, I just thought the even stronger reliance on budget phones made an interesting aside. But anyway, go Nokia! Cheers,

Chris Williams

El Reg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like