back to article England beat Germany - what are the odds?

Sunday afternoon England and Germany resume a rivalry that has spanned generations as they meet for the sixth time in major finals since 1970. So what does Bettorlogic's look at England (Bettorlogic Rank 8) and Germany (ranked 5) tell us? Despite never having lost in 90 minutes to the Germans in these past five meetings – W1- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Very sorry, England.

Was a good game though. Hopefully the Netherlands will both crush Slovakia and put on a good show when it's thier turn.

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Let's hope England can do it?

On the other hand I am given to understand that Oxo has a new Stock in development.

It will be packaged in a white box with two red bands looking much like the England flag.

It is to be sold as "Laughing Stock"

</tee hee>

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

My prediction is...

Germany 4 - England 1, with controversial dissallowed England goal in the first half.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what are the odds ???

I will give you 1 million to 1 against the UK . UK are useless bunch of crap and couldnt beat a team of school kids.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Wut

This "UK" team you speak of doesn't exist.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Tittle Required

@AC

No it doesn't, but it should. As I have said before, we shouldn't be playing as England, Scotland etc.. it should be Great Britain like we do in the Olympics.

I'm happy that the Germans went through. Fantastic result.

Bier, well for the Germans!

1. John 62
          Grenade

Never!

I am an happy subject of Her Majesty, but I expect a united Ireland before a united UK team!

First, the general publics love their national teams and the rivalry with England. Northern Ireland especially remembers David Healy at Windsor Park beating England 1-0!

Second the home FAs love the glamour of their world status too much. Apart from playing on the world stage, I looked up the off-side rule a year or two back and discovered there are 5 votes on the FIFA rule-making committee. One each for the FA, SFA, WFA and IFA (not to be confused with the FAI) and _one_ for the _rest of the world_. You think the smaller Associations are going to give that up voluntarily?

Third, what benefit would a united team be in terms of quality? Who in the other Home FAs would get into the England team. Ryan Giggs? And would they be any better as a _team_?

"Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head. The stars in the bright sky looked down where HEALY, HEALY, HEALY, HEALY, HEALY..." :D

1. John 62

Oops

Got my IFAB numbers wrong, but Home FAs still get huge percentage of the votes compared to the rest of the world

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ABE

Damn!

6. Blubster
    FAIL

"England beat Germany - what are the odds?"

Obviously worse than the article suggests based on England's dismal performance. Hope they too (like the French) travel home in economy class to highlight their disgrace.

1. Doug Glass
      Go

Germany 4; England 1

After all the whinging.

7. G C M Roberts
    Unhappy

Ho hum

Back to work now?

8. Matt_payne666

numbers, numbers, numbers...

they dont lie! we go out in spectacular fashion!

For the money we pay the team, id expect better.... If my salary was measured in the millions then I would expected to have a better win lose ratio than the current england team! irrespective of the 'pressure'

my god its hard work, rolling out of bed in my country manor, choosing which ferrari i will drive to the office then deciding which of the horde of the vapid, fake tanned, soft, supple goupies i was going to enjoy!

9. Giles Jones Gold badge

Nothing to do with odds

It's all about having decent players and a decent manager.

We have neither of those and so we lost.

10. Matthew Anderson

C'mon Germany!

I'm fae Scotland, nuff said. :-)

1. Laurie
      Flame

Clearly, you are

A small-minded, bitter little haggis-munching knob-end who has the misfortune to live in a country who's pitiful excuse for a team can't even qualify!

We were crap, but at least we were there. Haggistan United - missing since 1998.

Now bore-off and go back to playing with yourself while dreaming of Mel Gibson.

That is all.

1. Matthew Anderson

Clearly...

It is I that is the bitter one, oh yes indeedy.

4-1.

4-1.

4-1.

4-1.

*Insert broad grin here* :-D

1. Laurie
          Thumb Up

Yep!

You know that deep down inside you are.

4-1 = ratio of English/scottish appeances in World cups since '98!

Now excuse me while I go and spend some of your oil revenue on a Brazil shirt... ;)

1. Matthew Anderson

Oil revenue

hehe - Oh, you have been ripping us off for years, no need to stop now. :P

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK smart-arse

It's 4-1 at the moment.

What are the numbers for next week's lottery?

12. miknik

Meh

Sod statistics, I'm with blind patriotism.

My prediction: England to win, Defore to score 1st.

13. Jim Morrow
    Coat

Deutschland uber alles

> Its recommendation: Germany to qualify.

and in other news, there's proof the pope is a catholic and bears really do shit in the woods.

14. heyrick Silver badge

Mmmm...

"Les Bleus" (France) apparently have a reasonable World Cup history. Not that you'd have guessed it from this year's fiasco...

15. bigphil9009
    Headmaster

Erm

I hate to be a pedant (but not enough to not post!), but Germany have already qualified, so have England. This round (and the subsequent ones) are not qualification rounds, but knockouts.

Laters!

16. Jonathan Walsh
    Pint

I had a dream

England to win 5 - 0. Remember where you read it first.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

I think...

you need to eat less cheese just before bedtime.

(Well, the megaphone's almost a vuvuthingy)

1. Marcus Aurelius
        Joke

At least he got the number of goals right

He just needs to work on the distribution between the two teams

2. M 6
      FAIL

@Jonathan Walsh

Yes, good one there pointing out an imaginary score after the game finished. Well done!

1. Jonathan Walsh
        Megaphone

@M 6

I posted in the morning before the game - I guess the Reg took their time moderating it.

17. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Statistics

Doesn't this analysis require that there be a correlation in performance between the current squad and the squads in the past before they were even born - simply on the basis of their passport?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paul knows

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/10420131.stm

19. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

On the return

I am further given to understand that the England team will now board a flight destined to land at Glasgow Airport as that way they will be guaranteed a heroes welcome.

20. John H Woods Silver badge

Received 2 mins after match by text ...

The England Team went to visit an orphanage in South Africa this morning. "It's so good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible" - said Jamal Omboto, aged 6.

21. Neil Stansbury
    Thumb Down

Almost 50 years of hurt

England are just shit. Period.

And we really need to start accepting it.

When we set more realistic expectations for our nationational side, the disappointment and continual pain will at least be in context that we are crap.

50 years trying to repeat '66 should tell us something. Are we really this fucking thick skinned & stupid? We are out AGAIN in a humiliating defeat, until something changes other than the manager, this will continue to happen again and again.

Players paid £100k a week cant even take a ball on the chest, control it and pass it on to a team mate. Stop hiring overpaid morons for starters.

1. MineHandle
      Megaphone

Let's be fair

We got further than the Italians or the French....

As most people say, the problem is the number of foreigners in the respective leagues. It's not just the Premier League which is devoid of good local talent - although it is top of the list probably.

And, once again, the Germans have got it all right:

- a profitable league

- reasonbale local to foreign players ratio

- terraces where supporters can still stand

- Cheap tickets

- clubs run for the community (and still at a profit - no sugar daddies there)

- an outside chance of becoming world champions for the 4th time and the 3rd since 1966!

And, once again, the UK has sold its soul to the highest foreign bidder who cares little for the country but much for his bottom line...

2. Sam Liddicott

don't forget

most teams are going to lose. It doesn't mean they are bad, just that someone else beat them.

However I guess the england coach is now going to coach the German team;

Mail qualification: "I helped England lose to Germany and I'm sure I can repeat that success"

22. Muth
    Megaphone

Least it'll empty the pub of hoolifans...

I had to laugh my ass off at Englands pitiful efforts to thwart the hun, and given their already poor performance in the world cup I could hardly stifle my mirth when, true to form, they groped around for cohesion and teamwork.

Fail, fail, fail. Lads - you should be ashamed to come home...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing that is wrong with England

The only thing that is wrong with England is the belief that England is ranked amongst the other World Cup winner countries. England won 1966 because it was on HOME GROUND. Just like South Korea went all the way to the semi's in 2002.

Another point. The BPL IS the most competitive league in the world but look at the top players there. They are mostly non- English. True Rooney has done well in the BPL but when Ronaldo was there, he was all but eclipsed. True Lampard has scored a few brilliant goals, but Drogba has scored I don't know how many times more. If the English players were truly competitive, you would see more of them in Real, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, who knows, Bayern Munich etc.. And when the English clubs do well in the Champions League, guess who are carrying the club flag?

First recognize where England football really is, then do what needs to be done. Invest more into youth training. Look more towards setting up a pipeline for talent to be cultivated. Then when you start seeing more young English talent take the spot light in the BPL, then England will know that it is ready to seriously challenge the World Cup.

Regards.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Excellent result

Good football result. Now perhaps we can get back to normality, and not have suffer chavs with silly flags on 13 hours ago cars, painted faces and such. All we need now is a bomb to fall on the Big Brother house (preferably when crowded with BB fans outside) 13 hours ago

and it normal service will resume

25. !!11oneeleven
    Coat

For the love of god...

please don't mention the score! At least not to a british person...

No Jacket, thank you...

1. Count Ludwig
      Troll

What was the score?

I didn't see the match - did England lose?

26. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

No surprise

It doesn't do much good looking at long term stats when recent and mid-term stats are a much clearer indicator of where things are going - like the weather; how it was yesterday is a good indication for today.

Hope above expectation may be a good thing but England just making it through to the final 16 was a clear pointer to the disaster to come. There were some sparks of brilliance but the team is dysfunctional as a whole.

The only real winner is Fabio; who stands to earn £10m whether he stays or is sacked.

27. luxor
    Thumb Up

Got what they deserved

They were lucky to get out of the group stage.

Now I can enjoy the rest of the world cup without in-ger-land being mentioned every 5 minutes during any match that they are not involved in.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soo....

Has there been some kind of match between these two? Including some kind of ball that you kick with a foot?

I also understand the germans won at go-kart racing or something.

I think people need to chill out.

29. BritPad
    WTF?

History

No excuses but ... I wonder if the Uruguayan linesman was decended from one of those nasty German escapees in 1945.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like