back to article Motorola punts mega huge Droid phone

Motorola has released its latest Android offering, the Droid X, and it's one chunky, funky monkey. Which is a good thing. By chunky, we mean not only its size — big — but also all the tasty bits it contains: a snappy 1GHz TI OMAP3630 processor, hefty 1540 mAh battery, versatile 8-megapixel auto-focus camera with dual-LED flash …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. WonkoTheSane
    Unhappy

Still waiting.....

For them to update my Dext from Android 1.5 to ANY newer version!

1. Doug 3
      Paris Hilton

Nexus One sales method was one attempt to help with that

your tele carrier has little interest in updating your phone OS since it won't get you to purchase a new phone after the two year contract is up. This isn't new either, they've pretty much sold phones and only provided bug-type fix updates for years. So purchasing a phone on contract means you had better like what you have because that's most likely what you'll have to keep. That is specifically why many purchased the Nexus One from Google. Besides it being nice hardware.

Some of the highly marketed phones like Droid have had their distributors/carriers state they would provide updates to Froyo but others, like you, are still sitting on v1.5 when even an upgrade to v1.6 would be nice. Same goes for v1.6 etc. Carriers are not going to support phones they no longer sell when it comes to OS upgrades.

So maybe the cost of the Nexus One wasn't so bad after all.

Paris, because she upgrades herself.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that big

I thought you meant Dom Joly big.

1. Harvey Trowell

Quite

Evidently Mr Myslewski is blessed with a generous significant other. What other explanation could there be for his belief that five inches is mega huge?

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Motoblur crap?

Did they skip the Motoblur garbage?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Designed by geeks for geeks!

They may as well seal the deal by bundling a faux-leather belt pouch with it. Certainly couldn't fit it into any normal size trouser pocket, that's for sure.

Repeat after me manufacturers: *Mobile* phone, *MOBILE* phone!

1. Zack Mollusc
      WTF?

normal-size pockets

Can this be Posh Spice posting as AC? Or the ghost of Karen Carpenter?

5. Johnson85
    Stop

Droid 2 With Keyboard

"And finally, if you're looking for the hardware keyboard of the original Droid, stop looking. It's gone — the Droid X is touchscreen-only. "

There is also a Droid2 phone being prepped for release by motorola that has exactly the same internals as the DroidX but comes with a keyboard, hence the name "Droid2".

6. Phil Rigby
    Thumb Up

Nice..

Looks good, but I'll wait to see if VZ put out an iPhone next year.

7. DEAD4EVER

motorola droid x

now this is more like its about time more companys got into this big screen like 4.3 inches at least there would be more selection. if this comes out at a reasnable price id be happy to get one and on android to dont give a toss about apples os. although if htc doesnt deliver the evo 4g to the uk they better make a simalar phone with same specs or better but same screen size id love a good phone with a huge screen. stuff the iphone pile of crap thats for sad little fanboys hahaha.

1. Alastair 7

I think...

I just lost 10 IQ points just reading that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@DeadNotYet

Is that a game you play, see how many times in a day you can work in your hatred of anthing Apple? What do you get if you win? Artificially inflated sense of self worth?

3. GhilleDhu
      Happy

@DEAD$EVER

Let me rework that for you, since I think that the Google Translator didn't do a very good job...

"Now this is more like it. It is about time that more companies got into having a big screen on their phones e.g. 4.3 inches. At least there would be more choice! If this phone does come out at a reasonable price, then I'd be happy to get one as at least on android they don't give a toss about the Apples iOS. Although, if HTC don't deliver the Evo 4g phone to the UK, they had better make a similar or better phone with the same specs (Incl screen size). I'd love a good phone with a huge screen. Stuff the iPhone, it's a pile of crap that's only for sad little fanboys hahaha"

There now that's (slightly) better! ;o)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title interesting

In British slang, "punts" must mean "releases". In Canadian slang, "punts" means "toss in the garbage". So, I had the completely wrong impression from the title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

meaning of "punts"

offers or touts for sale would be a fair translation.

perhaps the Canadian use is linked to punting a football

2. Code Monkey

Nope

I reckon the Canadian "punt" would apply very well to this phone, eh?

9. Rattus Rattus

Very nice indeed

although still a very Motorola "ugly-as-fuck" on the outside. What's with Motorola making horribly ugly phones despite their nice internals?

I must admit, I want one but not enough to ditch my Nexus One. Besides which, at least my N1 actually looks nice as well as being functional.

Oh and does it have Motoblur? If it does, you CAN turn that shite off, right? Right?

10. TeeCee Gold badge

Motoblur.

Interesting that. When the original Droid shipped, the review article here seemed of the opinion that omitting motoblur was something of a missed opportunity. Yet the opinion in this forum so far seems to be "don't want". Just maybe a genuinely knob-gobbling FaceBeTwitSpaceMailText widget isn't quite the "killer app" for mobiles that the marketing sheep think it is?

It's also quite obvious that the handset makers haven't quite "got" the new model. This implies that handsets come with an OS and applications are flogged through the app store. At some point they're going to have to wake up and split their HW and SW business, ideally before the Chinese knockoff firms beat them to it and rape them on handset pricing.

I fully expect to see mobile going the way that computers went many moons back. Hardware being the commodity, low-margin, high-volume side and software being the gravy. Shortly after that we'll get "mobile solutions providers" cropping up, promising to integrate it all back together again......

11. Craig 12

enormous?

It doens't look that much bigger than the iphone 4, which remember is smaller than the 3GS everyone has been happily carrying around for a year: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/droid-x-vs-iphone-4-hang-out/

12. Lottie
    Thumb Up

Nice

I like the look of that. It looks rather different to other mobiles. and lumpiness is something I can live with if it has a decent camera.

1. Ammaross Danan

Bulk

I think that camera bulk should make the phone sit right well on the shoulder for those that still require two hands for tasks while on the phone. I do like the mini-HDMI port on the side. Since it shoots 720p, I am assuming that it displays 720p (and not 1080p) through that port. Very nice. At $100 less than the iPhone, not a bad steal IMHO. The lower res on the (larger) screen is kinda disappointing though. At least it has an SD card slot, since 8MP camera shots could eat it fairly quickly.

13. Maryland, USA

Take it from a science & technology writer...

Rik can write! Great article--a worthy rebuttal to those who sniff, "Readers want just the facts; context and tone don't matter."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like