back to article Aus politicians puppeted by hackers

Red faces all round at the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) after a posse of seriously unchristian hackers overloaded its shiny new message board with spoof messages, and the ACL blog toppled over. The story begins with one sharp-eyed Reg reader, who drew to our attention a large number of highly impolitic comments apparently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Ranga's Rool OK

Yah for Julia!

2. Not That Andrew
    Flame

Soofing NOT hacking

As I'm sure everyone else who has read this article has pointed out, spoofing some idiots identiy to a web forum to dim to verify it is NOT hacking. Practical joke - yes hacking - no. What bothers me is that right-wing nutters controlling Australia are already spinning this as work of ebil haxxors and further justification for the Great Firewall.

1. Jane Fae

Not so sure

i would agree that much of the material appers to be pure spoofing, the page content did appear also to be tampered with...certainly in terms of a phrase that was removed later.

I also have the comment from one of the individuals directly associated with this incident, to the effect that individuals "got into their system".

Sure sounds like hacking to me....unless it is being deliberately spun as such by the ACL.

jane

1. randomizer

Perhaps, but....

"i would agree that much of the material appers to be pure spoofing, the page content did appear also to be tampered with...certainly in terms of a phrase that was removed later."

I'm pretty sure that the admin is capable of editing the content of blog posts. It was a rather odd phrase, but I'm sure that if it was really hacked that the lulz would have been made more obvious by our 4chan buddies.

2. Kevin Rudd, PM

The ACL wouldn't lie

They are the Australian Christian Lobby, since when has a Christian ever lied?

I certainly never broke a promise to they Australian people during my 3 years as Prime Minister, the emissions trading scheme has merely been delayed, honest!

I have referred the matter to my good friend Senator Conroy who assures me that these hackers obviously got into the system through the ACL portal via some sort of scamming or spamming, and not the work of some foolish moderator at the ACL not understanding sarcasm and subtle humour.

oh dear, I've started blubbing again, I'm not very proud of that.

3. cactus

It's not hacking when

The comments that appeared on the ACL site were submitted through their own page and approved, presumably by their moderator. Nothing 'got into their system' other than their own overdeveloped sense of self importance thinking that various leaders had taken time to comment on their blog. Seriously, if that were your blog would you have taken those names at face value??

3. ShaggyDoggy

Rickrolled

But has anybody been fooled into playing a Rick Astley track yet ?

4. randomizer

OH SNAP

This site has been hacked.

5. Kevin Rudd, PM

look at me, I'm hacking

...by posting to an open forum!

Really bummed about being dropped as PM, but I've had a fair shake of the sauce bottle.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Kevin Rudd

Good God, I should stop being a White Hat (wannabe ;-) ) if "hacking" is soooo easy even politicians can do it. Standards really are slipping.

By the way, shouldn't that be Kevin Rudd, ex-PM?

1. Kevin Rudd, PM

No

I should still be the PM, I'm still running in the next election you know. This is just a temporary solution, those Kevin '11 T-shirts I've pre-ordered for all the young Labor supporters will get me voted back in for sure.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

background and anon for a reason

Just a short clarification regarding the events leading up to the "hack." (sorry couldn't help that, it wasn't a hack as we all know) Being a bit closer to where the action is, and having some connection with the so-called "hackers" as part of the anti-censorship movement, I thought a bit of background might throw some light on this event.

When the ACL blog came live it was spread around the group as a place where we could make our feelings known regarding the filter and the ACL backing of censorship. A number of posts were originally submitted crtiticising the ACL for supporting the censorship agenda of the government. They were not at all sarcastic and were serious discussions of why the filter was a bad idea, however despite the blog being created for apparantly this purpose, to communicate the feelings of the Australian people to the ACL, not a single post appeared. So one of the posters who's comment never appeared created an over the top sarcastic and outrageous post in support of the filter to see what would happen. Of course it was signed by a well known member of the Australian parliament :-)

Amazingly enough this ludicrous post in support of the filter appeared almost immediately, so apparantly it doesn't matter how mad and crazy the post is, as long as it suports the ACL agenda it gets allowed through, but no matter how sensible, logical and well thought out a post is, if it criticises the ACL in any way it gets rejected. Naturally this opened the flood gates, and J Goebbels, among many others, is still posting away.

Of course its no surprise that the ACL, a supporter of censorship, has no intention of allowing anything like free speech on its blog, it suprises me that they even bothered with the blog in the first place, the tiny fringe group of unorganised evil civil libertarians seems able at will to derail the well organised moral majority, surprising for such a derided and disorganised rabble.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

@Kevin Rudd, PM

There comes a time when you have to accept some unpalatable truths.

The PLP think you're rubbish and reckon their only chance of winning the next election is by electing a women for the first time ever to the top spot (Bit like the British labor party with Tony Blair but with an *actual* election. Look how well that turned out).

Time to choke it down, keep your head high and make a dignified (and *permanent*) exit to spend more time with your lovely wife, kids and sheep and not to start blubbing to the press.

Of course this still leaves that nutter Conroy running around loose. He might make Labor unelectable for a generation if enough people realise what he's got planned for them.

Good night and God bless.

I think this is your coat.

1. LaeMing

Rudd is a career beurecrat.

His interest in being Australian PM was never more than as a stepping stone to a position at the UN.

Oh, and Australian's don't elect their PM. We elect our local representative, then all the local reps get together and choose a PM, et. al. Though from the bitching that goes on every time a PM changes outside of election time, most of us aren't aware of this detail, which is just how the major parties like it - lets them sell themselves on the 'personality' of one person instead of having to promote what passes for their policies in each seat.

8. W60

come on guy ACL...dont you get?????

ACL = Access Control List ... firewalling

9. Rattus Rattus

"it disappeared shortly after the Reg alerted ACL"

So it was you that told them? Aw, guys, everyone was having a lot of fun with that. I wanted to see how long it would take them to realise the truth by themselves.

As a few people have already said, it was in no way anything remotely like hacking, it was simply posting to a public forum and seeing what would get past the moderators.

Besides, it couldn't have happened if they hadn't left all those blank pages under their site. The Russian Mafia probably pressed "backslash, backslash, backslash" and well, you know the rest...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

lolzor

Apparently, Christians aren't scandalous enough to make fun of them - ah well, can't let that stop proceedings... we'll just make it up.

Here's a question: If there were enough votes for filtering, should a democratic government carry out the clear will of the people?

What's more important, freedom or democracy? How does that view map onto the "hate-speech" bills in the UK?

11. Adrian Esdaile
    Dead Vulture

YOU DID WHAT?

" it disappeared shortly after the Reg alerted ACL."

You ALERTED the ACL to them being spoofed? Let me get this straight; you contacted the Australian Christian Lobby and actually told them someone was having a go at them on their website? You do realise these are the morons working behind the scenes of our government factions, pushing idiots like Stephen Conroy and the entire Liberal party down the path of Internet cenorship?

You actually warned them? Seriously Reg, that is really poor form. Seriously - are you now the internet police? Did you warn Apple someone nicked their kit? Do you warn every site owner you hear spoofing about?

I hope it was 'journlaistic licence' and you did actually do it.

If you did - MORONS!

This topic is closed for new posts.