back to article Verizon iPhone due 'early 2011'

Stop us if you've heard this one before: there's a new report that Verizon may soon offer Apple's iPhone, ending AT&T's US exclusivity for the überpopular handset. The latest speculation comes from Barclays analyst James Ratcliffe in a Tuesday research note, in which he opined that the US's largest mobile carrier would " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox
    Happy

Rumours

How long did it take again, for the one about the Apple tablet to become true?

2. Lance 3

LTE

What will be the purpose of an LTE phone on the VZW network in early 2011? They will only have a few select markets. Didn't Apple make a 2G phone first because of the smaller 3G footprint? At that time the 3G network that was built was larger than the proposed LTE rollout. The phone will have to be backwards compatible to a 3G and 2G standard. How will that work on the VZW network? There are not man phones that support GSM and CDMA and the ones that do are not cheap and how they are built is more of a kludge design. I wouldn't expect an LTE iPhoney on early 2011. Another reason, Apple just copies others and there is not an LTE phone for them to copy yet. They also do not have any LTE patents and thus, they need to license them. hey are not even paying for the 3G stuff they have been steeling.

3. MacRat
    FAIL

I'm sure Verizon will bugger it up

"4G LTE next year, all bets are off"

I doubt it.

Even thought it might be the same technology, I'm sure Verizon will muck it up in some way so it will require custom made hardware and not work with standard "4G LTE" phones.

1. Lance 3

SIM

Maybe they won't use a SIM. That would be the easiest way.

4. jubtastic1

Voice & Data

Until Verizon has a network that can support voice & data simultaniously I can't see it. Of course the 4G Network will be capable but coverage will be spotty and there's no 3G network to fall back on.

Lastly, I'd imagine branding to be a major sticking point, I can't see Apple ever allowing an iPhone out the door with someone elses logo plastered on it.

1. Sean Bergeron
      Black Helicopters

Pretty much...

Though, I have to wonder if other rumors about the potential demise (and subsequent transfer to Vodarizon) of T-Mobile USA have anything to do with this. Might have a situation where it uses Verizon's 3G for data, and T-Mob/new VZW GSM for voice.

5. IR

Too late

Everyone who would have bought an iPhone has either switched to AT&T to get it or now has an Android phone that does the same things anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like