back to article Apple iOS 4 update due today

Apple is set to release the newly named iOS 4 for some existing iPhones and iPod Touches today. The company claimed earlier this month that the software update will bring to these devices "more than 100" new features, most notably a way to allow multiple apps to run simultaneously - multitasking. Apple iOS 4 iOS4 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Ash
    FAIL

An overview

... improved Mail app, now with a single, unified inbox;"

My HTC Topaz does this.

the abiity to organise apps into folders;

Done that on my Topaz

the arrival of iBooks on small-screen iOS devices;

an eBook reader? I don't use one, but Google tells me there are several available

touch-to-focus on video capture;

I guess this means focusing on somewhere other than the centre of the frame, in which case... Yup.

a 5x digital zoom for still photography;

Yup.

face recognition in the Photos app;

No, but offered on other HTC, SE, Motorola phones.

the ability to change the homescreen wallpaper;

Yup, currently the front cover of AC/DC's "Who made Who"

and, from the iPad, Bluetooth keyboard support.

Yup.

So, everything I can already do, and have been able to since last June when I got the phone! Yup, that's the iPhone.

1. Thom Sanders

Well done you

And your point of your post is?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Get a grip

I'm sure there are features missing from both sets. Incidentally, there have been several eReaders available on the iPhone already - this is the Apple one with the library infrastructure behind it. The "tap to focus" does mean "not the centre of the screen", yes but also the ability to change the focus *while filming*.

I could understand your need to post such criticism if it wasn't free, but it is, so what's the gripe? I find it odd that so many people need to jump in to criticize people's choices on iPhone topics, but seldom do you see the opposite in HTC articles. It's almost bordering on religious - occasionally I have people coming to my door asking if I have accepted God into my life.

Consider this - do you think HTC would have such devices or that Android would exist (at least in its current form) without the iPhone?

1. Rob

Don't get me wrong but....

"Consider this - do you think HTC would have such devices or that Android would exist (at least in its current form) without the iPhone?"

... just being pedantic really, but in short yes, HTC was well on it's way down this road before the iPhone was released. HTC Sense was being developed at the same time that Apple's iPhone was, I think it was released just a mere few weeks before the iPhone went on general sale (although that was along time ago so I might be wrong).

N.B. Not a major fanboi for any OS just trying to sift the facts out of the huge proportion of bullshit that flys around nowadays.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Apphole

"Consider this - do you think HTC would have such devices or that Android would exist (at least in its current form) without the iPhone?"

Obviously not, because as we all now know Apple invented the touch screen smartphone. All those other touch screen smartphones phones that were out years before the iPhone are just figments of our imaginations / evil Google propaganda.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re: Apphole

Nope, I don't think anyone (with a brain) is claiming that Apple invented the touch screen smartphone. But if you don't think that the UI, combined with multi-touch (and no stylus) in 2007 wasn't a game-changer, then you are deluding yourself. Love or hate Apple, you've got to give them that. Witness Android being born shortly after the original iPhone, and released 18 months later.

Prior to that, the best of the smart phones I recall as being Win Mobile, complete with stylus and an absolute embarassment. Although it can't be proven, I'm fairly confident that most smart phones would still have a stylus and a "start" menu..

3. Campbeltonian

Thanks, that's cleared things up for me

If I ever happen to find myself in June 2009, I should buy an HTC Topaz.

4. RichyS
      FAIL

Ah, my sides.

I thought: interesting list. This Topaz sounds pretty powerful. But, since HTC seem to release a new (and ever so slightly different) phone every week, I needed to Google it to see what it was.

It's a WinMob 6.1 phone. Dear. Fucking. God. Are you seriously trying to compare this to an iPhone? Really?

2. Mark Broadhurst
    FAIL

News just in

news coming soon...

Lets hope it doesn't brick this time.

3. J 12

iPod Touch

Can I probably be not the first to say....iPod Touch (3rd Generation) ?.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

CDN

Servers will be fine as it's a software update. Plenty of edge servers

5. Annihilator
    Boffin

akamai

The Apple stores pump out their content via the akamai network which is optimised for this sort of thing. I don't think I've ever seen them fail to send out an OS update, much like Microsoft's patches.

For a website to struggle under massive volume is not uncommon - they will never scale their infrastructure for that sort of load as 99% of the time it will be unused, so not sure why it was ever a story.

6. Matthew Forbes
    Jobs Horns

Bluetooth keyboard

Also on the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (3rd gen)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Out of Date

Our routers have been running IOS 12 for years now...

1. Lockwood
      Thumb Down

Agree

I was going to post similar, and ask when the lawsuit is going to be.

Someone's using something with a similar name to an iProduct.

8. Phil Rigby
    Grenade

Waiting...

Got iTunes 9.2 ok, but still waiting on OS 4.... apparently my 3.1.3 is the most current version...

9. John Sims
    Unhappy

I have a paper weight

40 mins on hold now after a failed OS4 update and i still have a paper weight :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

jeez

If you had a paperweight to start with how exactly did you expect iOS4 to fix it?

As for the folk waiting 6 hours for the update, get a life! Ever considered a bit of patience and downloading later on... I got the update in 7mins and had it applied in a few mins after that! So in under 15mins I had updated my iphone 3GS, it took longer to backup all the junk i've got on it.

Not knowing how to use the features bundled.... there is a saying mate! "Fail to Prepare, prepare to fail!" There have been walk throughs all over the internet since iOS4 was announced....

I work in IT, and I thought this was a site for IT Professionals, but sometimes.... Gah! I give up on the retards that frequent this place sometimes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I've done it - now what?

My iPod Touch is updated, but now what? Looks and feels much the same. I have no idea how to organise the apps into folders and the help on apple.com is still for v3.1

11. jonathanb Silver badge

Creaking just a little

I think the servers are quite busy at the moment. The ETA for my update to be downloaded is hovering between 3 and 6 hours and spending most of the time on 4 hours. If it all fails, I hope my backup works.

1. jonathanb Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Update

It updated itself overnight. Seems to work fine. To move an app into a folder, tap and hold until it starts wiggling, then drag it on top of another one.

12. Neil Turner 1
    WTF?

server is FUBAR

server is knackard 5 hours to update

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like