back to article Microsoft unveils one-stop service for reporting stolen accounts

Microsoft on Thursday unveiled a program to alert banks and online services when accounts they oversee are compromised. The Internet Fraud Alert will serve as a centralized repository for stolen account credentials and personal information, Microsoft said in a press release announcing the system. It creates a single place for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Bing goes the Baseload!

or If you can't Bing them join them.

I'm not sure which. Have to get back to you ....

2. Tech33
    Thumb Down

Internet Fraud Alert

I read that article on my work computer, running Fedora 13 as its operating system, using Firefox 3.6.3. I followed the link to ifraudalert.org, and further followed the link to Consumer Resources. I then read the line:

For Internet safety information & security updates, go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

So... How do I get relevant information about Internet safety information and security updates for my operating system and security updates.... fail!

3. Wallyb132
    Black Helicopters

Ripe for abuse...

I can see it now...

Is there a special someone in your life causing you grief, giving you hell or otherwise making your like world a miserable place? Do you have a few key pieces of personal info for that special someone? is that special someone traveling abroad? If you answered yes to all 3 of these, then now is your opportunity to spread some of that special love right back at your special someone.... That's right, in one simple but glorious moment you can return the favor and make your special someones life a living hell by reporting their account compromised on this new one stop shop for ID theft prevention. With one simple complaint all bank accounts will be frozen, credit cards canceled and all other forms of financial management will be locked down tighter than fort knox in the blink of an eye, and the best part is, with that special someone being abroad, he'll stand absolutely zero chance of getting this situation resolved until he gets home, if he gets home...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do they honestly believe...

... that people will voluntarily trust them with sensitive information?

After all they've done and haven't done?

5. Trygve Henriksen

How long until...

Someone breaks into the system?

And the crooks starts using it to verify which CC numbers are 'still good'?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

The world's largest repository of stolen bank details.

With MS's security on it?

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ Tech33

Well they probably thought lets start with the 99% of desktop users then work from there ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.