back to article Got an iPhone 4 yet? No? You're gonna have to wait now

iPhone 4 wannabes who blinked, or most likely were hit with an error message, will now have to wait until next month before they can get their hands on one of the coveted talking lightboxes. Apple started taking pre-orders for the smudge-a-phones just yesterday morning. However, whether by accident or design, most wannabe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Philippe
    WTF?

company buying is your friend

I jut put my IT procurement department on stand by, and got the operator corporate division to have ten of them ready to deliver on the day.

1. P Zero
      Pirate

Hah!

Misusing resources, or BEING AWESOME? I'd vote for the latter.

2. Marky W
    Stop

Wait? Nah.

Get yerself over to ebay, where they can be picked up for a measly £900.

If you're actually thinking of doing that, perhaps the money would be better spent at The Priory. You're obviously under the influence of something...

3. The_Police!
    Troll

Just imagine

if Microsoft ballsed up a launch and their provider leaked security details.

4. Rogerborg

Yes, yes, but cut to the chase

Did the "Will It Blend?" team get one?

5. Code Monkey

I wouldn't bother

It's a phone. Just a phone.

You don't need a new phone, you want a new phone.

There is a difference.

This also applies to new Blackberries, HTCs and whatever else you care to mention.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How sad

Has anyone heard the words "delayed gratification"? It will make the wait more intense and the ultimate reward of holding one in one's palm more orgasmic!

Reminds of the old Woody Allen film, walking into and Orgasmotron somewhere on the moon Would really like to see the Queues outside regent street and hysterical fanbois fighting over each other like morons with nothing better to do in life !

Evreything comes to those who wait....?

Paris, cos can wait longer for her.

7. Annihilator
    Happy

So much to do at Cartmanland

But you can't come. Especially you Stan & Kyle.

8. Gulfie
    FAIL

Dare I say... yawn

I can see the whole iPhone 4 thing is going to bore me rigid. In the same way I now skip the iPad parts of the Apple related podcasts I listen to, I will also start skipping the iPhone parts as well, leaving me with a scant few minutes from a 60 minute program to listen to.

Like we couldn't predict it was going to sell out... and video calls I ask you. I can hardly wait, after all, it was only nine years ago that 3 launched a video calling service that worked between video phones of different models and (gasp) over 3G (no really, I kid you not, the technology does exist).

iPhone video calling is a huge con in as much that it is clearly all routed over the internet - so while it might work on your home connection it really won't work on any of the open or bundled wifi services that exist today. But its a great way to encourage people to upgrade.

I never thought an Apple product would leave me colder than the iPad did. I think I'm going to hibernate for the summer and hope that by the Autumn people will have realised that the 'fourth coming' really hasn't changed the world...

OK, bring on the flames...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

@Gulfie

No so boring as to prevent you from composing a longer than average post on the subject, eh?!

9. Jonathan White
    Headmaster

You sure?

Isn't this only if you wanted to get one direct from Apple? As far as I know, none of the UK telcos are actually taking orders yet. Assuming they've had some of the initial stock allocated to them, they would still be available to be had when they become available to order, whenever that is.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

In true Nintendo style.

The idiots fight over each other to get hold of the precious "limited" supply items..

MORONS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

@AC

I'd rather be a moron than an offensive twat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If that's true, shouldn't

you be working harder to avoid at least one of the two?

11. ThomH

That's 600,000 confirmed preorders

Or, at least, claimed by Apple (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/statement-by-apple-on-iphone-4-pre-orders-2010-06-16). I'm not sure how many these things usually sell or what it's like amping up production from Apple's usual attempts at extreme privacy (given that they failed miserably this time around) — is that the sort of small amount, given the five-country launch, that implies a deliberately limited supply?

12. dave 93
    Happy

We need to know

How many iPhones are the 'talking lightbox' of choice among 'Team Register'. Come on, 'money where your mouth is' time (or not). Don't be coy ;-)

600,000 pre orders in one day is quite impressive, wherever your allegiances my lie. Personally, I have a 3G iPhone, and it is a very cool toy. Not such a great phone, but all the other stuff rocks. Now that Android is catching up, and can do more useful things for free (turn, by turn nav and create a wifi base station to name a couple), I may well jump ship in the next few months just to keep life interesting.

Mind you, the new iPhone has a gyroscope, and I had one of those when I was a kid and that was a cool toy too.

1. Tim Bates

hardly impressive

"600,000 pre orders in one day is quite impressive, wherever your allegiances my lie."

Not really that impressive when you've got a zombie cult running. Scientology could probably do the same trick without the media frenzy leading up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

Tim Master Bates

"Not really that impressive when you've got a zombie cult running"

Are there that many Droid-heads out there? I wasn't aware there were that many. Or are you talking anti-Apple-ites (a more generic labelling which includes Droid-heads).

2. dave 93
        Happy

@ MisterBates

Only $360 million in pre-order sales (and that is if they are all 16GB models).

I guess some people (i.e. you) are very hard to impress.

IMHO Getting a zombie cult up and running is pretty impressive too. ;-)

13. Dana W
    Flame

No way.

This CAN'T be happening. Every article on The Reg says that Apple isn't cool anymore, and nobody cares about Apple.

Therefore your reality is defective, please upgrade your reality to Vista 7 or the Linux distro of your choice immediately.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Got an iPhone 4 yet?"

No! You're gonna have to wait.....

for a cold day in hell before you get my money, Jobs

15. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

So what.

So people have to wait a tiny few days. Big deal.

Just why is this news worthy Reg?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Is it just me or

Does it seem that Reg's articles seem to have a ration of 5 Apple articles to one of anything else?

Enough with the firehose of apple non news please. Try other IT sectors for a change or at least dial down the ration of articles.

Perhaps it is your hacks over in the west coast who are generating all this Apple noise, but it is really mostly noise you know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree, time for another round of Facebook articles.

Enjoy your AIDS.

17. The Mighty Book Man

"4!" did you say, "4???"

I'm not going to bother with that outmoded old hat. I'm in a sleeping bag outside the Apple Store in Glasgow waiting for the launch of the iPhone 5.

You losers....

1. Velv
      Coat

"I'm in a sleeping bag outside the Apple Store in Glasgow"

Isn't there always a guy in a sleeping bag outside the Apple store in Buchanan Street ?

Don't think he's waiting for an iPhone.

Spare change, maybe, but not an iPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

Fool!

What do you think he wants the change for?

He's a freemacitard.

18. stu 4
    Boffin

camping

So.. as a sort of er.. ironic appletard - (I have a house full of apples, but also linux and PCs... and think steve is a cock)... mine is gonna be ready for me to pick up at 8am on thu. - it is finally the device I've been waiting for, for the last 10 years.. via everything in between from Poqets, pilots, win ce and sony clies, little laptops, and sony UMPCs...

so... do I:

1) mosy in there at noon

2) get there for 8

3) get there for 7.30 and queue

4) camp the night before if the mall lets me.

I'm gonna pop in today and see if they have any 'campers'... I think it might be fun to camp there at night (mall is inside)... and wear my 1997 nextstep t-shirt just to show I'm not one of these new mactards... no no... I'm old school man. cough

stu

19. Velv
    Troll

iOS4.....

MAC OS 10.6.4 Failures ???

Think there might be a LOT more disappopinted people on June 24th - those that DID get an iPhone 4, and find it doesn't work properly!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Congrats Apple

Although no fanboi, if the figures are indeed true, congratulations are due to Apple and Jobs for pulling off this wonderful sales figures.

Surely there must be Nokia,Samsung,etal marketing managers dreaming and drooling wildly about such figures in ONE DAY.

Apple surely doing somethign right, then!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like