back to article AT&T iPad 'hacker' arrested for 'drugs possession'

One of the hackers behind the AT&T iPad security breach has been arrested after police allegedly discovered cocaine, ecstasy and LSD during a search of his home. Andrew Auernheimer, 24, who goes under the hacker handle “Weev”, was seized on Tuesday by Arkansas County Sheriffs following the execution of an FBI search warrant. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DataFish
    Badgers

Fix up!

Seriously...how many hackers (who are typically geeks with no social outlets) hit hard drugs on a regular basis? Are the police just looking for something they can tag this person with as a way to make a huge "example" out of them!! Hmmm....I wonder, especially as some high ranking government officals were involved....

1. alwarming

Logic...

drugs rhymes with bugs.

All Hackers exploit bugs. So all hackers thugs who use drugs. And they like jugs.

Paris, coz she must be witch. (And puts a h3x after s3x).

2. George Gardiner 1
      WTF?

about geeks...

I'm guessing you've never snorted MDMA off a laptop at a German demoscene party with 3 guys who just made a movie in 4k and call themselves 'teh Polish wizards' then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warrant

"Police are not revealing what prompted the warrant, according to CNET."

Kind of the only question I had...

US drug laws are pretty wacky. I remember one case where a guy killed his wife, but during the trial it came to light that he had mailed straws used for snorting cocaine (that still had residue on them) so he was charged with sending drugs via mail. He got a much longer sentence for that than the murder of his wife.

1. Player_16

Much longer sentence?

She must've been a bitch of a wife.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weev isn't just about the hacking

he has his own church and everything: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=weevlos

4. mokum von Amsterdam
    Boffin

Always funny...

...when 37331 haxors are confronted with RL bad boys. Goatse will pull a "Mert Ortac" soon.

5. L1feless
    Thumb Down

Sad....

One would hope with a more progressive president the USA would recognize and differentiate a gray hat from a black hat. I for one would love to see China, Russia or any other nation start hammering the USA with a cyber threat. I honestly do not think the USA's government is fully aware of the assets they are not utilizing. It almost seems that other nations are nurturing these people while the USA is trying to eradicate.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Losers use drugs...

or is it Users lose drugs.

I forget

one question would be... does the warrant pre-date the iPad exposure (really... it wasn't a hack, they just spotted a hole big enough to drive a truck through in AT&Ts setup) or was it trumped up to give them a reason for the search?

What's the betting this guy gets hammered for wire fraud long after the drugs are forgotten... and AT&T/Apple don't even get a slap on the wrist

7. Soruk

Bend over

The Goatse guy is about to become the new goatse guy...

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Weev is a freak

This religious proselytizer has had a few too many hits of acid. If you've seen him on youtube preaching Jesus... well, I think it pretty much says everything.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like