back to article Ubuntu-based Windows XP looker freshens up

An Ubuntu-based Linux distro identical in look and feel to Microsoft's Windows XP's been updated. Ylmf OS 3.0 has been released from a Chinese software maker with the familiar Luna theme found in Microsoft's Windows 7 and Windows Vista predecessor. The Linux distro has been updated to Ubuntu 10.04, released in April, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Piechota
    Terminator

Sue?

"Microsoft is reported to have said it would not take action because the distro was based on Linux."

They probably have a case for the icons and other artwork, but otherwise what could the really sue for?

2. dracnoc
    Linux

I've given it a try

OK. When you go to install, English isn't exactly the first choice, but it's there.

Apart from that, this distro is very competent. It does everything you need it to. Codecs are pre-installed as is "build-essential", it's certainly enough to get most of the major file formats running from the starting blocks. The install is simple and clean and there isn't an excess of configs slowing it down.

As for the XP-esque layout - it ain't perfect, but it is enough to get XP users roving around the system without crying. The CLI is, as always, a "new" feature to most Windows users, but when it comes to getting the job done, a single typed command is a welcome relief to navigating a bunch of icons. Say what you like about the console - the direct approach often works brilliantly.

I like this distro - it's simple, it works and pretends to be XP well enough for XP users to get the hand of it in a few minutes. An awful lot of distro makers should learn a few things from this in making an OS that gets to the point. YLMF does exactly what it says on the outside of the box.

The penguin - in trying to look like Windows, it looks like Linux at it's most brilliant. A tool that works - no matter what that look is like.

3. Mage Silver badge

XP look?

My XP doesn't look like that. I have a slightly edited Classic NT4/Win98 theme. I'm not 6 years old so don't need the TellyTubbies Theme,

To get drop shadow on Icon text and plain background, add a plain wallpaper of the same colour as chosen background colour, as Drop shadow only turns on with wallpaper.

4. frank ly
    Stop

Toolbars?

Can you create a toolbar and dock it on the left/top/right edge of the screen, then have it pop out when the cursor moves to that edge? Can you overlap toobars and slide them over each other?

I like to have an empty desktop, except for the Recycle bin, which I can't get rid of.

Win7-beta didn't do that last year and I assume that Win7 doesn't. I'm staying with XP until I can be sure that whatever replaces it can do user configured toolbars. (They're great !!)

1. Bruno Girin

@frank ly

Yes you can is the short answer. GNOME panels (which is what they use for the toolbars) can be docked on any side of the screen and can be configured to auto-hide (i.e. only pop out when the cursor moves to the edge of the screen where they are).

1. frank ly
        Happy

@ Bruno

Woohoo! Thank you Bruno, I'll check it out. :)

1. Fatman
          Happy

Hidden panels

Bruno,

You can "hide" them if that is what you want.

But, you can do even more, you can do what I did - and that is make a picture frame of panels on each edge of the screen, and through panel properties, select a color, and then dial DOWN the transparency (i.e. make it more transparent).

Thus when you maximize a window, some of your screen wallpaper "peeks" out from under the window. In my case, the bottom, left and right hand panels are transparent, but the top one is not.

The best part is using a nice wallpaper for your screen. and that choice is left to your imagination.

My imagination led me to this photo of Alicia Keys taken this past 7th, when she was in South Africa for the FIFA World Cup. Every good looking woman MUST have that `one` "little black dress", and DOES IT LOOK GOOD on her. It might still be on her site (aliciakeys.com).

The caption added to that photo is taken from one of her song titles - `sure looks good to me`.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Lindows

Looks like the horrible-looking Lindows back when it was still called that. That blue/green "1980s-era gardening products catalogue" look: just awful! That Microsoft thought it was nice speaks volumes.

1. Penguin herder
      Pint

You can say that again!

XP out of the box was truly ugly.

6. Teoh Han Hui

Copyright

Are they free to use the artwork (icons etc.)?

1. TimeMaster T
      Linux

Icons

With the exception of the "Start" button everything looks like its using the default icons for the F/OSS software installed. No copyright issues involved.

I'll have to check it out, I know a few people who are Linux phobic that might just like this.

7. Martin Owens

No action

Even though there is blatant copyright infringement on the icons? Of course Microsoft may have released their OS as Public Domain, but I doubt it.

8. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Coat

"Ylmf OS"?

Well that just rolls off the tongue.

What about MylfOS?

9. Tim Bates
    WTF?

Lindows?

So they went mental over Lindows because the name was similar. Yet when someone actually copies the graphics from Windows to make Linux look the same, they're OK with it?

1. Red Bren
      Gates Horns

MS are happy

It looks like Windows, but it doesn't crash. MS get the credit without lifting a finger.

10. Wallyb132
    FAIL

Why?

Microsoft should take action, if only to serve the purpose forcing Linux devs to focus on important Linux related issues, not waste their time making windows like interfaces...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Why

A bunch of icons and a background image is not an "interface", it's just a theme.

And "Linux Devs" don't "waste their time" making themes, artists and designers do that (and they're not programmers who could have been coding something else).

It would take a hell of a lot more than a few images to get any Linux distro have a Windows-like interface (especially Gnome based distros that can't even implement something as simple as the single-click launching option that Windows has, never mind the various other elements that go to make up a Windows interface - e.g. proper ACLs, case insensitivity, shell access to non-filename dependent hidden attributes, app independent clipboard, file manager undo, GUI access to metadata etc.).

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121113#c56

11. KjetilS
    Thumb Down

Uh.. When did imitation become pirating?

"Not that imitators always get away with it: Chinese authorities successfully prosecuted the creators of China's most popular pirated edition of Windows XP, Tomato Garden Windows xp, in 2009. The Tomato-Garden duo got four years in jail and a $147,000 fine."

Maybe that's because they pirated XP? Not made something that happens to look like XP while being something completely different?

Skinning Linux to look like Windows is NOT the same as giving away "free" copies of XP.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not a good move

All very nice and shiny and I am sure it will hook people in, but are things going to progress with all this incestuous behaviour? Linux copying Windows, Windows copying bits of OSX, OSX pinching bits off Windows.

It might work well in music for people to borrow from one another, but in IT desktops it simply leads to a very bland and boring landscape of identical systems.

Users have enough trouble running software for the system they have, let alone accidentally trying to run Windows software direct on a Linux box!

13. vincent himpe

yay !. yet another theme pack

all i see coming out of this whole linux 'commune' is more window managers, more color schemes, more file systems, more vi vs emacs flamewars...

The os is just a platform to run APPLICATIONS. Go make some of those. I am waiting to see some kick-ass software ... sadly ... so far ,none.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

chinese ubuntu mod

I trust the Chinese not to data-mine my PC using their version of Ubuntu - not.

Who knows what spyware might be there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like