back to article Satnav pensioner smashes into 1953 Rolls

An 85 year-old who blindly obeyed his satnav and performed a U-turn on a motorway slip road in Bavaria, crashed into a prized Rolls Royce. The owner of the 1953 Rolls Royce Silver Dawn - one of only two in the world - promptly had a heart attack. Josef Rossfeld, 57, has recovered - but his car is a write-off, the German paper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Joke

The owner of the other one...

Is probably quite happy though..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Bah

That'll buff out.

3. Hieronymus Coward

Maybe if it was a ford ka...

I would consider that a right off if it was a bog standard run around.

If it is only one of two left then it is worth more restored than it would cost to fix - right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

I thought that

Until I had a good look. It looks like the whole engine has been pranged, and when you add the cost of finding (unlikely, read hand making) a new wind and grille (as well as repairing however much suspension damage has occurred) it might get serious.

Even then, it wont be original, as the replacements, if not original, will surely hurt the car's value as an antique...

2. Insane Reindeer
      Unhappy

Repair it with what?

What ever he repairs it with is going to ruin the whole point of the car, unless, by some miracle there is a whole load of 100% original spare parts floating around.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Too Stupid to Live?

Granted car built before 1970 is the engineering (and mass) equivalent of a tank, and therefore the 57 year old RR owner was only ever in danger of the heart attack that did happen, but can the world continue to support entirely literally mind people? What kind of person abandons common sense and ignores the clear and present danger to human life from blindly following... ohh... the satnav'er was born in 1925.

Nevermind.

5. Martyn 4

and in other news

the owner of the only other one left is delighted to hear of its sharp increase in value...

6. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Grenade

Obeying the satnav?

Hey, to all the really, really stupid people out there: «as soon as possible» does NOT mean «NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!»

At least it was not in the US so probably no-one is going to try and sue the satnav vendor...

7. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Can I upload an instruction to all satnavs?

At the next turning, make a bank transfer of £1,000 to I ain't Spartacus - c/o Register Bank*, London, England.

That should be an effective test of the users, methinks.

*you guys WILL pass it on, won't you? Promise? Phew. That's alright then...

8. Simon B
    Flame

85 year old killer - lock him up ffs

85 year old killer. If he doesn't know NOT to do a U turn on a motorway by now he shouldn't be driving. Get the killer off the road, shame he didnlt do the job for us.

This topic is closed for new posts.