back to article Spicing up desktop management with social networking

Social networking, at least that which involves computers, has evolved greatly over the past few decades. The internet has allowed many new forms of self expression and interpersonal communication to flourish. By today’s modern standards of social networking, I’m positively a luddite. I simply don’t do social networking. I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I'm just amazed...

...how few know about netXMS.....

Not so useful for software auditng, but massivley powerful for monitoring.

http://www.netxms.com/

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@AC

Actually, I had played with netXMS. The problem with it was that it was...massively powerful for monitoring. And nothing else. Much like Nagios, monitoring was pretty much all it did. Oh, it had a few minor triggers, if you scripted hard enough. From a network management application standpoint however, it was just not helping me out.

And while netXMS is still awesome, (and admittedly fairly easy to use,) from a functionality standpoint, Nagios absolutely takes it to school. (Admittedly netXMS is slightly easier to use than Nagios, but I chalk this up to Nagios simply being that much more complex.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Windows fail

Er... but you need Windows to run this. So it's not something I'll ever be able to make use of.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@dz-015

A windows license isn't that expensive, and even on fully Mac or Linux networks, it is certainly possible to toss a Windows VM somewhere running this software. Remember that you don't need a full Windows domain structure to run Spiceworks; you just need is as a host.

Given that no domain requirements exist, a copy of even XP hobo, (sorry XP home,) would probably work. OEM stickers for those can be had for under $100, which if you are looking for a tool to actually help you manage an entire network of computers is fairly cheap.

To be honest, given Spiceworks’ integration with things like Nagios, I found it was great for monitoring and managing both Linux and Mac systems.

That said, if anyone from Spiceworks ever reads this comment; I too would really like to be installing this on CentOS rather than Windows. RPM please!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

dz-015

The review wasn't written just for you. Good job stroking your operating-system dick there though.

This topic is closed for new posts.