back to article Ten Essential... iPad Accessories

The sleek, elegant design of the Apple iPad cries out for a protective case to keep it safe, and Reg Hardware has been absolutely inundated with cases and sleeves in the weeks since the 'magical' gadget's launch. However, there are a few other handy accessories coming along as well. Apple’s trying to corner the market with its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/IPAD_CASE?mco=MTc0MjU1OTQ

El Reg is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
    Anonymous Coward

Missing the apple cover

You missed the apple cover which is smart and slim. Also once you have you iPad in a sleeve forget using a dock, they are only designed to hold a naked iPad. Getting the iPad in and out of sleeves is so much hassle its not worth the fiddle.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Missing the apple cover

Not so. I use the Griffin Elan Sleeve - pull up the tab that usually folds over the top of the iPad, and it pulls the device out of the case. Works very well.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-sleeve-ipad

2. Stu

cam connection kit

The camera connection kit is nowhere near worth the £30 they're asking for when you consider that the iPad reduces the size of all photos above around 6MP as you import them, I was really looking forward to using the iPad's IPS screen as an image review tool for out and about photography. Whilst its okay, I can't do a 1:1 pixel analysis of the shots from my 12MP DSLR.

Hopefuly a third party app will come to the rescue as the built in photo facility is definitely aimed squarely at the 'casual' end of photo viewing.

3. Elsie

Essential iPad accessories

How about the bleedin' obvious ... Common sense?

Common sense in not buying this toy in the first place so you don't need to spend large amounts of cash on making it usable.

4. stu 4

headphones

"Can you believe that Apple doesn’t even include a set of headphones with the iPad?"

thank christ for that - since if they had, it would be the standard apple earphones - the sound polluting scourge of the last 10 years.

5. Asylum Sam

other handheld

a second portable device that can show flash websites would be an essential 'extra' if i accidentally owned an ipad.

6. Doug Glass

The Most Essential #11

A netbook. It's needed by the fanatical juveniles (A.K.A. fanbois) to do all the things you really want to do but are ashamed to say so.

7. RichyS

www.dodocase.com

DODOcase

Okay, so there's a 4-6 week waiting list, and shipping form the States is pretty extortionate. But, you get a lovely hand made case that holds your iPad in without leather corner pieces getting in the way of the volume and screen lock buttons. And it looks like those nice old moleskin notepads.

Way nicer than any other cases out there. It would be great if the chap making them could get some more help on board, and a UK distributor.

8. behzad

Overlays

Why protect such a pristine screen if you can't appreciate how pristine it is because a sheet of plastic is obscuring it? Maybe these things are a lot better than they used to be, but if not it's a complete waste of pretty screen. Maybe makes sense if you've got kids?

That said, I've always thought manufacturers should make the front casing of LCDs removable and replaceable, that way you get the option of making it 'like new' after it's taken a few scratches without the downsides of an overlay.

9. Some Beggar

www.sorryimnotsellingipadaccessories.com

Excellent

So I need to spend between three and six hundred quid for the 'essential' accessories for a device that only costs about five hundred quid? This is a definition of 'essential' that was carelessly missed out of my dictionary.

10. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

So thats...

£500 or so quid for a device with no real purpose. And another "essential" £600 or so to make it useable for that "no real" defined purpose.

Makes my £500 laptop seem an eminently better deal.

But hey... it's not news that Apple fans have more money than sense.

11. JEDIDIAH

In that same spirit...

> a second portable device that can show flash websites would be an

> essential 'extra' if i accidentally owned an ipad.

I that spirit, I would add a 500G Archos 5. It addresses many of the faults of the ipad/ipod as a media player.

The screen protector on the iPad is a definite must. The rate at which an iPad screen accumulates crud really gives you an appreciation for the hygenic state of hands. Also, any "dock" should accommodate the rubber covers. They're common for the phones. It's pretty obvious that they would get wrapped around iPads too.

12. Gannon (J.) Dick

What Brits should do first ...

Learn to read Australian before you go into the store. Knowing the Retail Strategy can save you quite a bit of money.

13. Jamie Cooper

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-ipad-3g-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

ZAGG Invisible Shield

Personally, I've put the ZAGG overlays on mine, if the price looks a bit steep it's because you get overlays for front and back, and a special solution to apply them with that makes they really easy to put on. Also the price stated doesn't just get translated into the same pound value when you order.

I'll also say what about the Apple slip case?....it doubles as a stand or puts the iPad on a slant to make typing easier, and looks very nice too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like