back to article MS names 'Natal'... Kinect

It's official: Microsoft's 'Project Natal' will come to market as the Kinect. Thought perhaps PS3 fanboys will now start to call it the 'kinell. Xbox Kinect Kinect's branding was unveiled last night at a glitzy do ahead of this week's E3 show, the games industry's chief knees-up - and, indeed, Kinect's formal launch this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MJI Silver badge
    Coat

It's an Eyetoy!

We already have something similar on a Playstation 2

1. Mr Brush
      Gates Halo

Nope...

The 360 equivalent of the EyeToy is the LIVE Vision Camera which was an epic fail due to lack of support in games. Sending rude pictures to people in Burnout Paradise was about the best it got.

Natal^H^H^H^H^H^H Kinect has full body mapping (of multiple people), voice and gesture recongnition plus a hat full of other tricks. However, if there's no games to prop it up, it'll go the same way as the Vision Cam.

1. Daniel B.

Still an EyeToy

Really, it is just a souped up version of the EyeToy. If it isn't using a controller, it is using image recognition for detecting people ... which is what the EyeToy does. About the only interesting game I remember seeing for that was the Anti-Grav game for the PS2.

I don't see this being a 'Wii killer' at all. Hell, I doubt it would even surpass the PS3 "glowball" thing!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

$190 / £150 pricetag and temperamental

and only to be used instore by TRAINED people. Seems you need to know what to do and what not to do to use it...

http://csnation.totalgamingnetwork.com/showthread.php/181456-Is-Kinect-Not-All-That-It-Was-Cracked-Up-to-Be

3. MnM
    Terminator

Imagine what google could do with those

Now weee will control zemmm, Sergey!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'kinell

still, I can see the brand synergies with the Kin range of cheap phones that aren't terribly capable and several years behind everybody else

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coincidence?

Any connection to pork-barreling outfit QinetiQ, perchance?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Can't wait for version 4

Version 4 will be great - Kinect 4.

7. MAD

Kinetic, connect ... or...

I'd have thought Kinect would be a play on Kin + Connect.

Kin: a person having kinship with another or others

Connect: connect, fasten, or put together two or more pieces

1. billingsgate barney

kin, as in having a relationship?

are you serious? as polyvalent as the word is, i suspect it has something to do with movement.

8. John 62

reminds me of

Sega's 32X :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

InstantFail

This sums it up really... (You would have thought Microsoft would have at least done a LITTLE research before coming up with a name).

http://i49.tinypic.com/x5y3xg.jpg

Ironic to the extreme.. (Eyetoy)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like