back to article Cisco slips out Atom-powered block and file box

Cisco is closely matching HP in the small business market with an Atom-powered unified file and block storage device. Cisco's NSS 300 Smart Storage is a 2, 4 or 6-bay desktop storage product that can use either 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch hot-swap SATA drives. It follows closely on the heels of HP's X300 DataVault. Why are both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edwin
    WTF?

Consumer NAS?

I'm having trouble telling the difference between the HP and Cisco boxes and, for instance, the Synology box I have at home. In terms of features & functionality, they look almost the same. The biggest difference seems to lie in the price, and the difference there is very big indeed!

1. James Neave

The difference

As far as I can see, the big difference is iSCSI. £2000 for an 8TB iSCSI box is a steal

2. Andre 3
    FAIL

Netapp Storevault

Oh Netapp, can you now see why you were so dumb to kill off the Storevault? The competition would be blown away by ONTAP running on one of these little boxes, with dedupe and RAID-DP inside...

3. JP19

QNAP

That's interesting, as I was looking to add storage capacity to our lab's iscsi storage targets with a QNAP TS-5XX Pro, this Cisco seems to fit the same bill neatly.

1. Maxime256

QNAP and Synology

Indeeed QNAP but also Synology have boxes that can do iSCSI at a fraction of that cost.

4. Ed_Zachary

no NETGEAR mention?

ReadyNAS is right in this space already and seems to be a leader, but the Register left them out again. Come on, Chris! Why is Cisco OEMing QNAP to play in the sub-100 user storage space newsworthy other than to scratch your head about their overall SMB strategy?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like