back to article Microsoft's Bing grabs hold of Zuckerberg's firehose

Microsoft has announced yet more tweaks to Bing, this time adding a new "social" site to its search engine. The company already turned on the "firehose" for Twitter back in October last year. Bing.com/social extends on that by offering what Redmond described as "the first search experience integrating the full Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds awful

There are an awful lot of inaccurate, malicious and just plain wrong facebook fan pages out there such as the outright lies spread about the "true" identity of John Venables recently, or the (again total lies) pages about england shirts being banned in pubs.

Not really the sort of content I'd be paying for if I ran a search engine of any repute.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: sounds awful

You had the answer right there: "...if I ran a search engine of any repute."

The condition on your IF statement has failed.

2. Doug Glass
    Go

So? What's Your Point?

BFD

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Microsoft thank El Reg from the bottom of their hearts

If it wasn't for articles like this one, NO-ONE would visit the Bing page at all.

Let's face it, there are far better search engines...

Doing a search on bing.com for "search engine" returns 4 video results and then a link to google.com. That's a reasonable answer, I would think.

Bing is a massive failure in almost every aspect.

4. Rogerborg

But it's so fun to say! Bing! BING!

Admit that it's fun to say or UNCLE FESTER WILL EAT YOUR LIVER!

5. RISC OS

Bing is still...

...a steaming pile of horse shite

6. pan2008
    Thumb Up

@ anonymous coward

@ anonymous coward

The 4 Videos are part of the search and Bing being microsoft not self-promoting - pat on the back apple, SO they list google as top result as a "search engine". What's wrong with this result? I use bing everyday and very few times have to resort to google. I give 85-90% to Bing and 95% to Google to be fair but bing has really improved since the days of Live search when I would never use it. Microsoft are a gentle giant that's why I love them. In fact my only criticism or Microsoft is that they should be more aggresive with their strategies. Have you used any of their excellent products like Visual Studio, SQL Server, Sharepoint? Thanks god for these products I would have gone mad without them and they don't cost a fortune.

1. Goat Jam
      WTF?

Koolaid much?

Gentle giant indeed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why all the hate on Bing? I like Bing.

It's sparkling, refreshing, tasty and a good honest alternative to the big brands out there...

Oh, wait - you're not talking about the soft drink from Kent?

Oh - just some crummy search engine that nobody cares about.

8. Papa Smurph

Does indeed sound awful

... but, Bing is perfectly fine. I've been using Altavista since about 1997, in the end I got sick of pretending to myself that it wasn't Yahoo! with a different interface. I tried ixquick, which works fine. I tried Bing, which also works fine. Okay, it's got a silly name - but no more silly than any other.

Try it. At least it's not evil Google.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like