back to article Aus gov shakes up cyberdefence strategy

The Australian government has decided to stop supporting AusCERT in favour of a new computer emergency response team more focused on providing an early warning system for utilities, banks and other critical infrastructure firms. CERT Australia will take over from AusCERT in running frontline cyber-defence protection following …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what is australia's problem ?

they seem to have more of a security / censorship problem than the rest of the world......why?

1. Graham Wilson
      Flame

Here's why mate:

Here's why mate:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/665301

In summary, shock-jock radio and irresponsible media are barking loudly.

In any normal country this gibberish would be seen in perspective, but here in this backwater of the South Pacific where the national pastime is shopping and sport and the average IQ tends towards room temperature, when the sheep dog barks the bloody-mined sheep herd terrified in the paddock corner.

Since the 1980s Australia has become irrelevant in the grand schema of things. I can only assume why El Reg and others report stuff from here is for its amusement value.

2. Combat Wombat
    FAIL

*sigh*

So the government is taking control of a private organization, so they can install their hand picked mates (who have no f-ing clue) into the management positions and then use the org as a sockpuppet to push their censorship and control agenda.

*headdesk*

The Australian Government (all parties) have consistently proved they have NO FUCKING IDEA about IT... let along security.

I can't wait for my Canadian passport to arrive

1. Graham Wilson
      Flame

Absolutely correct.

@ Combat Wombat

Absolutely correct.

You're lucky, you can escape the lunatic asylum, unfortunately I'm stuck here.

(They say when you have Alzheimer's you don't realise it. Well, here's a country that's become the laughing stock of the world and it hasn't clue that it has.)

2. Dylan Fahey
      Paris Hilton

Are aussie's allowed to VPN out of the country?

If so, I think that's a jolly good way to bypass the government mandate of suppressing free speech. Some company should get 'smart' and make some money providing VPN's out of that god forsaken country.

Paris, because my IQ is the same as the entire Aussie government.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"what is australia's problem ?"

Its simply easyer to tackle internet 'muck' than it is to clean up all the dangerus critters running around Oz :p

4. neverSteady

Subsidise the rich!

So basically, the Australian tax-payer is subsidising the "cyber-security" of privately-owned banks, and utility companies.

1. Ferginator

And the mining giants

... they seem to be short of a quid.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

AusCERT did a A+ job

No, the Government is stripping the community-based AusCERT of funding and creating a competing CERT organisation because they were refused control.

AusCERT do a wonderful job - never been involved 'at the top', but I do work at a service provider that has been notified of various issues by AusCERT and have always been impressed at their follow-ups and requests for further information for forensic analysis.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why worry about security?

Conroy's neo-puritan filter fetish will render the whole bloody network too tortuously slow for anyone to attack their infrastructure. Why wait for someone to DoS you when you can do it yourself?

7. Tim Bates

Free actual alerts?

So does this mean individuals, small businesses, etc who have a clue can get real alerts again for free? I subscribed to the SSO alerts for about 1 week after AusCERT ditched their free service - the alerts were meaningless, painful to read because of the wording and only covered common user-level software.

I personally want details, I want info about server side software, etc. I however cannot justify over $1000 per year just to get this, as I don't use it for business.

My suggestion to "Stay Safe Online" that they also run a technical version was apparently filed in the round file - I never heard back, and they still don't have actual advisories available.

So does this news mean I can get alerts again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like