back to article BP targets Twitter to clean up oil spill

BP has complained to Twitter about one of the very many parody feeds mocking its efforts to clean up the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. As a result BPGlobalPR has changed its bio to read: "We are not associated with Beyond Petroleum, the company that has been destroying the Gulf of Mexico for 51 days." The feed has just short of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Good Argument, indeed

"It is time that our American friends were reminded that they sang a different tune when the American company Union Carbide killed many thousands of Indians at Bhopal. Not to mention when the American company Occidental killed 167 people on a North Sea oil rig in 1988."

It becomes more and more clear that Obama actually is an incompetent and authoritarian person, like many lefties are. Big talk about civil rights until he is president and then even more classification, secrecy and all sorts of authoritarianism.

Obama should fess up to the fact that the Merkins are the biggest gas-guzzlers of all nations. They are scared about small cars and even more about Public Transport. "I can't possibly ride a train with those smelly mexican laborers and those dangerous black criminals".

BP is merely supplying the crack to the addicts and now the crack source is doing a little spilling.

I was recently laughing off my backside when a guy posted a video he filmed while driving a big truck whining about those bad, bad BP profiteers who destroy the pretty nature. Merkins...

2. Aaron Em

Who the hell is Norman Tebbit?

And why should I care what he thinks of my president?

3. Nigel Whitfield.

Listen to Norman

He knows a thing or two about being xenophobic.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

I think

The Daily Mash has got a good take on it: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/obama-starting-to-sound-like-a-bit-of-an-arse-201006102804/

(anon solely because the company I work for has an office in the US)

5. The BigYin

Why BP?

Pardon me being slightly dense here, but why are BP the only ones in the firing line. What about Transocean, Haliburton (who both appear to have ignored concerns BP raised), USA regulators, USA safety legislation (or the lack thereof) etc?

BP is certainly not blameless, but they are also not 100% to blame IMHO.

@jlocke: Obama supports ACTA, so you are right in that he does not believe in openness, democracy or freedom. Which is a shame really as up until he seized power he actually looked like a decent candidate. Things is, the McCain would almost certainly have had his faults as well and I rather doubt he would have done anything different with the current Gulf disaster..

1. Joe 3
      Alert

Re: Why BP?

Well it fits the US news' Hollywood-style narrative doesn't it?

Ignore the fact that BP are a huge international firm who are about as British as any other (i.e. not that much any more), pretend that the people living around the Gulf of Mexico are the blue dudes from Avatar, and you've got a classic disaster movie.

Extra bonus - the bad guys have English accents - perfect!

(The special edition DVD and it's case will be made from bamboo or something, presumably.)

6. Richard Jones 1

Stuff the Well

Given that xenophobic twit what is his name in charge of the land of the free with insults, is so free with insults here are a few usefull(?) suggestions.

1) Block the leak with O'xenophobe's words, the only use for them and perhaps him?

2) No payouts to US investors from any UK company.

3) Investigate zero Halliburtion (they have certainly earned the zero), beyond a bill for post BP pension income.

4) Belatedly sue the arse off occidental for Piper Alfa for all the life insurance and any other costs their operation affected.

5) Stop all payments for american trash programs and make the payments to pensioners previously paid dividends by BP.

6) Let the damned yanks have their Afganistan sand pit all to themselves.

7) No more extraditions to the UnSuitable Arrival, (USA) as no prisoner could be sent to a place that would not respect their human rights, - well this works for protecting terrorists from their own governments.

any more left out can be added later.

1. Not bad
      Alert

Don't let facts get in the way...

The rig was being run by Transocean, an American company, on BP's behalf and the well itself was being worked on by the infamous Haliburton just before the blowout. The Americans/Obama need a bogeyman for this though, and a British one is even better.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's worse on Facebook...

"The company is doing better on Facebook where its page is "liked" by 20,000 people."

The Boycott BP Facebook group has over 500 000 "likes."

Also, for extra shits n giggles, try reading the user comments on the official BP Facebook page postings. Youtube users ain't got nothing on the stupidity level of Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/BPAmerica?v=wall&story_fbid=128304243856272

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

not quite?

You have to "Like" a page before you can comment or post links on it. Then the admin of the page can wipe what you post on the basis you are someone from a PR company

Facebook is no tool for democracy or a discussion forum.

8. The old man from scene 24

New campaign: boycott everyone else

I think I'm going to start making a point of buying fuel exclusively from BP. They need some level-headed customers to redress the balance.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

bp shares

Ok, so BP shares down £50billion.. time to buy BP shares and wait 6mths, should pay off the UK national debt and leave those yanks to their super debt cycle.

1. David McMahon
      Alert

I wish

it were that simple!

Oh who pays more for "gas" and who drives V8's (Or could afford too)

10. Ministry of Truth

How about

Bloody Phucked?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

How about....

Butt Plug is more like it, but it seems they cant get that right either.....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

BP tried to buy me out too

Big Pricks, Bad Pong. Brown Poo, British Pinheads, and they offered me $200 million for each term...

I said "Awww Geee Shucks - yall just like kin folk - but how about you spend it whores and payola, as stupid corporate shits are inclined to do in the days of their small world scumbaggery that might intimidate employees with mortgages, but not the global population on the World Wide Web.

This topic is closed for new posts.