back to article Google infected by World Cup fever

Google has tweaked search results for "world cup" to display upcoming matches and the teams still in the contest at the top of its results page. Search for "world cup" and a breathless message tells you: "Kickoff in 2 days!" Below that are the two first matches (South Africa vs Mexico and Uruguay vs France) with dates and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Jumping on Bandwagon?

Google jumps on the bandwagon - unlike El Reg which in the last week has brought us no less than 10 World Cup themed articles including two inanities about vulture brains, one piece of total non-news about Beckham being a Yahoo columnist and no less than three different puff-pieces about apps to enhance the World Cup experience.

2. Asiren
    WTF?

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

Only for Americans. .co.uk still has Gooooooooooogle (Well, for me anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But I thought....

...Google algorythms were a back art, untouched by human hands and devoid of any outside human or alien interferance.

Kinda screws this stock answer when people claim Google shafted them over by changing search results.

4. Otto von Humpenstumpf
    Thumb Up

'bout time people got into the swing of things.

Three days to go!!!

<puts on serious face>

That is all.

5. The BigYin
    FAIL

WGAFF

Who. Gives. A. Flying. F....

1. Citizen Kaned

those of us....

who can still see their bellies

who are co-ordinated enough to be good at sports

not all of us here are life-long geeks who got picked last at every sports event at school, and with the ever growing obese nation we need all the sports help we can get. the world cup in 2018 would bring in FAR FAR more revenue to the Uk than the bag of shit that is the olympics would do.

after all football is the worlds sport (i know apparently more people fish but ffs fishing isnt a sport!)

more than 10% of the world watched the last world cup - which is impressive.

1. The BigYin
        FAIL

Huh?

"can still see their bellies"? Guess it's all those half-time pies.

As for the rest - wildly inaccurate, but don't let that stop you.

1. Dale 3

Who can still see their bellies

Seeing one's belly is not that hard to do, especially for the robust of stature. Seeing past one's belly, now that's a negotiable.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
            Coat

Re: Seeing past one's belly.

Can't see why it's so highly rated meself.

If I feel the need to look at a great big dick I just take the lift up to the management floor of the office....

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Thumb Down

@Citizen Kaned

You confuse those who play sports with the fat beer drinking morons who follow sport.

Fanatical idiots who dress in their teams colours, and cry if their team lose.

1. The BigYin

Not "their" team

Shareholder's team. Big, big difference. Now pay £60 for this season's shirt (which looks almost identical to last seasons) or you are not a real fan!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Fraid not

You (apparently) confuse non-team sports with those kids play while also following this team or that and thus grow up following said teams while still also playing the game (if they still can. Me, I can't play it anymore due to various injuries accumulated in adult life, despite the fact I can and do still exercise, hike, and can run for a bus, usually without my knee giving way and always without gasping for air).

You deride the other side of your own coin.

6. ShaggyDoggy

Not a search engine

Final proof were it needed that Google is no longer a search engine.

First we have "sponsored links" = paid for "search" results at the top.

Now we have Google employees tinkering with it.

It is no longer a search engine.

It is an advertising platform.

1. Citizen Kaned

i agree...

thing is, who else would you use? bing is utter shite for finding specifics, its nicely presented and all but google will find what i need more accurately.

ive not even used yahoo or anything else in years. does altavista still run? :)

2. Bonzo the Wonder Dog
      Happy

No longer a search engine, eh...

How odd. I can still search using Google, even when they do some crazy stuff like have a bit of fun with their logo and sell unobbtrusive advertising.

I do wish I had your passion, though. You'd make a good footballer....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yeah, uh, like, Google really get socc... uhh, football, and stuff.

Uhh, soccer, yeah. That's, like, little boys in short pants, and stuff. Uhhhh huh huh. Uhhhh huh huh.

8. John Tserkezis

I feel so red carded.

google.com.au, google.co.uk, AND google.com all return Goooooooooogle.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like