back to article First WiMAX handset not Sprinting from stores

US operator Sprint has admitted inaccurately claiming that its HTC EVO 4G handset had outsold the Palm Pre and Samsung Instinct combined, by three times in a third of the time. The handset is the first in the US to use Sprint's WiMAX network, existing customers being dongle-based. The operator claimed to have shifted three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Shirley
    Coat

no coverage

With 4G only available in 27 locations its a miracle they sold more than 27 handsets!

1. Adam Williamson 1
      Stop

Not just 4G

It works on 3G where there's no 4G signal, of course. It'd be pretty frickin' useless otherwise. Even without the 4G functionality it's a very impressive phone, probably the best Android phone available today (and therefore, to some people, the best phone).

2. Monty Burns

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I wonder how many of these were actually sold because its almost the HD2's replacement, a "HD3" if you like, rather than the Wimax specific side of it?

3. slynke

sprint's 4g coverage

"With 4G only available in 27 locations its a miracle they sold more than 27 handsets!"

If they get 28 locations their 4g coverage area will probably surpass AT&T's measly 3g coverage. haha

4. Paolo Marini
    Heart

maybe

if I'm not mistaken, Wimax is not stricly LTE and the Evo should use LTE if my memory serves

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uh, what?

"With 4G only available in 27 locations its a miracle they sold more than 27 handsets!"

Clearwire has coverage of 65 US cities as of today. Most of those "locations" are several hundred square miles each - they hit a pretty substantial percentage of the US population.

"if I'm not mistaken, Wimax is not stricly LTE and the Evo should use LTE if my memory serves"

WiMAX and LTE are completely different standards. No, the HTC EVO is WiMAX, which is why Sprint launched it. There are no LTE handsets on the market today.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like