back to article From iPhone to iOS – Apple nabs (another) Cisco handle

Steve Jobs has borrowed another iName from Cisco. But this time, he got permission. Today, at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, Jobs announced that the Cupertino cult had renamed the iPhone OS. From here on out, it will be known as, yes, iOS. The mobile operating system, you see, also runs on the iPod …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tel
    Grenade

Steve Jobs is no match for British broadcasters?

"Steve Jobs is no match for British broadcasters"?

I don't think so... I'm pretty sure Apple is sitting on enough dosh to be able to buy Britain's ITV outright, and that doesn't take into account Jobs' humungously vast wealth elsewhere (Disney, Pixar, etc).

Personally, given the crap that ITV tends to broadcast, I'd be very glad if it got bought out by Jobs... a bit of Apple's style rubbing off on it would improve it immensely. Mind you, a bit of napalm would improve it as well, so that wouldn't be a hard ask!

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Happy

iCorrie

I can't wait for Jobs to buy ITV and update the programmes...

"iCorrie" - the cobbels and grim terace houses replaced with cleaming white modernist buildings - the Rovers Return gets converted into an Apple store - "ayePhone!"

"Britain's got iPads" - talent show in which developers have to perform in front of three Steve Jobses in the hope of getting approval for their apps. Contestants wearing turtle necks will obviously fail due to replicating Apple functionality.

"I'm a twitter celebrity, track my location!" - 10 celebs get dumped in Milton Keynes town centre and are forced to survive using nothing but their iPhones and the fantastic array of communication and productivity apps available in the app store. Viewers vote off who they hate by sending @ replies to the celeb they wish to vote off including the hash tag #FAIL.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Big Blue

Just thinking BIg Blue might be a bit pissed if Jobs were to try to make an iSeries

2. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

OK, bloody title!

So now we know for whom Reynholm Industries sold ITV to.

IT? When is The IT Crowd 5th season premiere?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Tel

Here's letting you be the first to welcome your Jobsian overlord.

3. Tim Bates
    Flame

Sucks to be a Cisco engineer now

Got a problem with a Cisco configuration? Well, you of course head to Google, type "ios <problem description>". Except all you get is excited teenagers wanking about their latest shiny piece of plastic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

From a WinTel engineer...

"Sucks to be a Cisco engineer now"

You mean it didn't before..?? :-D

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Jobs Horns

Watch out Ian

Steve's coming for ya.

(and Imogene, Isobel, Iolanthe, Isaac. ......)

1. Thomas 4
      Coat

A Welsh Apple enthusiast

Rhys iFans!

5. Sergiu Panaite
    Jobs Horns

What about...

..the obvious one, the iPlayer from auntie? And I suppose the Internet is now no longer safe either, since even though it begins with a capital I, Apple has already taken over IOS to make it iOS... Oh God, they're EVERYWHERE! AAARGH!!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The iT Crowd?

That would be the new sitcom based around a group of people who enjoy a new dried leaf based beverage supplied by a Cappuccinno company?

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Haha

I don't know thumbed you down (ooh err) but I thought that was a good joke. Imagining what iTea would be like... hmmm...

well you'd be locked in to having exactly the same way Steve drinks his. So if you want to add sugar you're gunna have to jailbreak your teabags (maybe the term 'tea-bagging' will be used for that process!)

Also the tea will be very expensive, but a lot more trendy than the evil PG Tips (who whole stole the idea anyway according to Steve, about 20 or 30 years ago or some s**t no-one cares about any-more).

The packaging will say on it "Designed in California, Grown in China"

Stephen Fry will constantly yabba on about how he loves his iTea and how he was the first person in the UK to ever drink it after Douglas Adams.

Leo Laporte's Twit Network will bring out a podcast about it - "Tea Break Weekly" ? - "This Week About Tea" ???

Some bloke will find a lost teabag on the floor of a pub and go round hawking it to Tea Blogs, bla bla bla you know the rest, Steve gets mad, Police special tea task force raids offices, kettles get confiscated, I get bored and stop making pathetic jokes about an iFuture dystopia.

7. Adam McCormack
    Coat

@AC Wintel Enhineer

At least the Cisco engineer can identify himself in public (o:

8. Mark C 2
    Stop

Engineer....I don't think so

If you want to call yourself an Engineer go out and get a BEng and then get your qualifications AND experience accredited by the IET or one of the few bodies that CAN award Chartered Engineer status.

If you pass the Microsoft/CISCO/<Insert vendor name> exams for their own software/hardware then you are not an Engineer, you are a Technician.

Engineers design, Technicians operate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

titles

And if the Technician designs their WAN/LAN and implements it, are they still a technician?

Narrow mind is narrow.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So much for Apple inovating.

Apple

iPhone

iPad

iOS

FaceTime (sorry about the mess, just vomited)

Looks like they "borrow" more than MS.

Hey Steve, how about a little case for these devices, maybe you could call it the iPaq?

10. lpopman
    Thumb Up

Titular Wotsit

Nintendo use the name IOS for their operating system on the wii.

See here - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would have told them...

to get stuffed, unless, of course, the wished to empty their cash pile into my bank account. $40bn should do it!

12. Ascylto
    Alien

Metz-up

"...the Cupertino cult had renamed the iPhone OS. From here on out, it will be known as, yes, iOS. The mobile operating system, you see, also runs on the iPod touch and the iPad, and as the cult indoctrinates new members, Jobs doesn't want to confuse them."

Yet another unbiased piece of reportage from the scourge of Apple fans ... Caaaaaaade Metz!

Clap. He deserves it.

13. Jon Double Nice
    Happy

FaceTime released an official statement:

Woo hoo! Money! We're f to teh pub to decide on a new name for ourselves and which Porsches to buy!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like