back to article Google still the word on iPhone search box

Google is still the default search engine on the iPhone, though Apple has added Microsoft Bing as an alternative. As Steve Jobs unveiled the latest iPhone at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco this morning, he confirmed that despite the growing rivalry between Apple and Google – and rumors that Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Oh dear

Just reading Ars Technica and had a giggle:

"I grew up here in the US with the Jetsons and Star Trek and communicators, dreaming about video calling, and it's real now!"

Wow, welcome to 1990 Apple, good job on being decades behind everyone then claiming it's new......

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@Top AC

Yeah, I mean video calling is so commonplace with hand held devices. It's everywhere. Even my Blackberry are doing it - oh crap, no they're not. I know, let me check my Android phone - dammit, no video calling camera on it. So maybe not everyone else is doing it yet? You can damn well bet they will be, after iPhone 4 comes out. Tard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Those damn Jetsons

Video calling might be "new" in the US, where the mobile phone networks are, not to put too fine a point on it, not exactly cutting edge and not particularly good value for money, but they facility has been available in the rest of the world for years.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nokia 6680????

That phone was commercially available 5 years ago and supported video calls. Nice to see Apple still trailing the competition by at least 5 years.

3. Lance 3

Research first

Since 2006 I have had phones that provided video calls. This was LONG before the iPhoney was even a blip on the radar.

Typical Apple, it only works to another iPhoney user. Forget about standards; they want to go their own way.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Umm

You realise of course that Three do tons of mobile phones which, you know, use the 3G network to make video calling, it's a feature that's been around for several years, it's not exactly new tech, it's very old tech and uses the 3G Network so you can, I don't know, make real video calls to any other person who has a 3G mobile that can accept video calls, whilst you're out and not stuck near a Wi-Fi point.

If memory serves me, Amstrad made a video-phone for home use many years ago, way back in the 90's, so go ahead, claim Apple got their first, I'll go pick up my Sony and make a video call whilst you think of a suitable reply......

3. dr_lovejoy
    FAIL

@the coward

Idiot, I was doing it years ago on a LG U8138 on a 3G connection (Apple can only manage wifi???). 90% of phones on the Hutchinson 3, had video calling when the network was first started. Video calling has dropped off for the reason that it was shite. And only over Wifi? what's the point

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

@dr_lovejoy

You argue against your own point. Apple brings out a feature that can be used and you slate them. A feature that was crap is a feature that isn't working correctly. Apple brings it out and it will work, so yes, it's new.

As for wifi - read the reason why, it's been covered (by Steve himself).

1. Ben Tasker
        WTF?

Erm...

"Apple brings it out and it will work, so yes, it's new"

Even if we take as read that the existing functionality is crap (I've never had any problems in the UK) there's so much wrong with that sentence.

They may be using a new technique for doing it (i.e. new compression or whatever) but that only makes the underlying method new or different. It doesn't suddenly make video calling new.

I'll have a read as to why wifi, but at this point I fail to see the point. Perhaps St Jobs will change my mind, but it does seem a little limiting. Sure use wifi if it's available, but why not route over 3G when it's not?

There doesn't seem to be a logical answer, but I'll have to read what St Jobs actually said.

The iPhone isn't for me, but y'all are welcome to spend your money if it floats your boat. So long as you don't criticise my dislike, I'll do my best to avoid expressing my thoughts on Steve's target demographic!

2. D@v3

I am not a fanboi

just wanted to get that out of the way before i start.

Yes, many phones have been 'able' to do video calls for some time, my old N97 was one of them, but there are many reasons why it didnt take off.

People keep saying "only over WiFi..." i think this is an admission from Apple that they have built something that not all of the networks can handle, look how much trouble AT&T and to a lesser extent o2 had with the massive uptake of 3G use when the 2nd gen iphone was released. As such, buy having video calling restricted to wifi, it takes the burden off the cellco's meaning that other (more important?) services, such as data and voice calls won't suffer as a result.

Que the, "but all other video mobiles use 3G, so why cant the iPhone". I'll give you my opinion in 2 parts.

1) Because currently so few people use video calling that its not caused problems over 3G, you wait till millions of Iphone users wanna do likewise.

2) The quality of current video calling is abysmal, where as I assume Apple are of the opinion that 'if your going to do something its worth doing right' and because of that, the quality 'should' be significantly better, which would in turn, put a massive strain on the cellco's, which would not be present over WiFi.

4. Sonny Jim

Nokia N900 has Skype video calling now

It was added in a recent update, was a bit silly have a front facing camera and having no way to use it!

5. Ben Tasker
    Joke

It's obvious really

Apple sell the iPhone on the basis that 'It just works(TM)'

If they used Bing instead of Google they'd have to change to 'It Just Works (Apart from searching the web - sorry!)

Oh and @ AC Second from Top - I've had video calling for years, and it works perfectly well to anyone with any capable phone, without needing Wifi. So it's not only not new, it's got their usual restrictions!

1. JDX Gold badge
      FAIL

What a funny

Yeah that's right. Unless you actually try using Bing and find it works, of course. But don't let the facts get in the way...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like