back to article Google's proposed global privacy standard slammed

The set of rules which Google proposed as the foundation for a global privacy standard are inadequate, a privacy law expert has said. The rules are not specific enough to operate as a global standard, said the expert. Last month Google's Global Privacy Counsel Peter Fleischer endorsed the Privacy Framework (pdf) published by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick
    Alert

Crikey!

What a surprise - Google backing lax international privacy policy - I wonder what end that could serve?

Cynic, me?

2. Sceptical Bastard

Does not compute

'Google' plus 'privacy'? It doesn't add up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Mercedes proposed fuel economy standard

It's like Mercedes proposing a fuel economy 'standard' as though MORE fuel economy isn't BETTER fuel economy.

This Google guy has persistently excused their privacy policies rather than seek to improve them. He's not there to make Google a better keeper of secrets, he's there to lower the world's standard to just below whatever level Google is delivering.

4. Lou Gosselin

Who gets to decide these things?

It is unfortunate that the fate of privacy rights laying in the balance will be determined by large corporate lobbyists instead of the public who are most affected.

One might say it's Google's data, it collected it from it's own (and affiliate) websites. Any of us would expect to be able to do as we please with our server logs. I would say this is OK until it gets to the point where Google is ubiquitous and unavoidable, then there is a real public stake involved because people don't have the choice to "just avoid google".

This topic is closed for new posts.