back to article Wikileaks denies Tor hacker eavesdropping gave site its start

WikiLeaks has denied that eavesdropping on Chinese hackers played a key part in the early days of the whistle-blowing site. Wired reports that early WikiLeaks documents were siphoned off from Chinese hackers' activities via a node on the Tor anonymiser network, as an extensive interview with WikiLeaks' founder Julian Paul …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox

I believe I found a new oxymoron

- Military intelligence

- Microsoft works

And now, I claim:

- Internet security

It is incredible how much supposedly secret stuff can be found

apparently just by scooping it with a ladle.

2. Samuel Walker
    Thumb Down

Wrong.

"Users have no control over which exit nodes will be used"

That is wrong i'm afraid.

Users of Tor can use the .exit TLD to specify which node should be used

as in

theregister.co.uk.ATorExitNode.exit

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I sniff CIA provocation.

I don't believe Wikileaks did it. But even if so, then so what? If Chinese or whatever government-paid crackers were stupid enough to send stuff over Tor unencrypted, then it's their problem. As long as WL have not hacked those docs themselves, I see no problem, as a lot of their documents revealed information important for people all around the world.

4. Irony Deficient

domain case-sensitivity in Firefox

Samuel Walker, is there an about:config setting in Firefox to force domain case-sensitivity? By default, Firefox will change theregister.co.uk.ATorExitNode.exit into theregister.co.uk.atorexitnode.exit, which apparently interferes with selecting nodes with upper-case letters.

1. Samuel Walker

Re: Domain Case Sensitivity

No there isn't unfortunately as the RFC for URL's specifies that all uppercase characters should be treated as lowercase.

Thus it is more a problem of Tor allowing uppercase characters in their node names. Hmm.. perhaps I should raise a bug with that....

5. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

If you ran an exit node, you would wouldn't you - just to see :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

and I should care because?

seriously, who cares?

7. Chris Hatfield
    Thumb Up

So what? Wikileaks, "for the win"!

I'm a total numpty and even I saw the huge notices all over the Tor/Privoxy sites that say your traffic will be anonymous but it is NOT secret.

1. SO WHAT

So what, let's assume this happened. The intentions are honorouable and Wikileaks & Julian should get a Knighthood or a medal, or something.

2. ATTEMPTS TO MARGINALISE WIKILEAKS

Leaked CIA docs show that people are already out to discredit Wikileaks. They have really powerful enemies who want nothing more than to make him look bad. If this is the case then they really are clutching at straws. (i'll take my tin-foil hat off now!)

Wikileaks is a an incredibly valuable journalistic tool.

8. Pheet
    Pirate

No surprise

Wikileaks is, by it's nature, very unpopular with governments.

At the moment, the US .gov is particular p*ssed off - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/07/wikileaks_arrest/

That stories insinuating connections betweenWL and Chinese (OMG the yellow peril!1!) now appear in the US media is unremarkable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like