back to article Dolphin talks to humans – but does he love Toughbook or iPad?

Dolphins eat fish, kill porpoises for fun, and try, not always successfully, to hide from Japanese fishermen. In their spare time, they hang out at Seaworld and help scientists in their ceaseless quest to talk to animals. And for animals to talk to humans. Take Merlin, aged 2, a dolphin, who is helping researcher Jack …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The old man from scene 24

Subtitle

‘Don’t eat me’ - seriously - you chose that over 'So long and thanks for all the fish'?

2. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

Hooray

Talking dolphins is a staple of much science fiction (notably as humanity's second "client" species after chimps in David Brin's excellent Uplift Saga), and I do certainly believe that they are probably extremely intelligent - it would be nice to have another species to actually communicate with on this planet, it might finally rouse humanity out of its superior, consescending, selfish rut and force us to act as a species to be more responsible towards our neighbours.

1. dogged
      Grenade

Meh.

Animals are tasty. We can only hope that aliens are also tasty.

1. Hollerith 1

or ...

... that we are not tasty to aliens.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Toughbook for me please!

Oh, wouldn't one of those be nice. Not likely to ever be able to get one though. :(

4. William Boyle

Stupid humans... -Merlin

Merlin

"Stupid humans. Too bad they are so primitive they need computers to talk to us! Oh well, give them a few more thousand millennia and they might become an interesting species, if they don't wipe themselves out first. Oh, and thanks for all the fish. The oil we can do without..."

5. Richard Scratcher
    Heart

The Day of the Dolphin

Fa love Paad!

6. Matt Piechota
    Joke

15 years too late

Someone beat them to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGxRZL-_sA

7. oldredlion
    Thumb Up

subtitle

I can haz tunaz?

8. J 3
    Joke

For him, it was a new toy

Hey, at least *someone* understands the iPad's raison d'etre. Now who's the most intelligent species, huh?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

dolphins do not kill porpoises for fun

they do it to prevent competition for food resources

10. Mr Young
    Happy

oops...

after all these years of trying to attach a portable killer head mounted laser beam pack onto a shark thing - you tell me it's easy wif dolfins. Thanks for that.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"try... to hide from Japanese fisherman."

Which Japanese fisherman is it that they are all so scared of?

If they are so intelligent you would think a plot is already afoot to effect his demise!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "try... to hide from Japanese fisherman."

Very good...story corrected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like