back to article Pentax Optio W90 rugged camera

Summer is here, sort of. The beaches are soon to be filled to capacity and anyone with any sense is clambering aboard the first plane to somewhere hot and sandy. That's a disaster for most cameras, which don't happily take to beaches, airport baggage handlers or seawater. Unless you've a 'ruggedised' model, of course, Pentax …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, the caribeenerererer is not for climbing

That will make you dead. I'm betting the manual is full of "NOT FOR CLIMBING" too. There have been too many muppets who have come to grief due to accessory clips like that being misused as load-bearing attachments, which break right away. so you have to be super-careful now.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Coat

Not quite the point of the carbeener...

I think the point of it was to make for a handy way to clip the camera to a bag, strap, or other attachment point rather then fumbling around with putting it back into a bag.

Otherwise I'm in full agreement- there are far too many morons out there who think that the look-alikes are rated for holding people and get injured or remove themselves from the gene pool because of it.

mine's the one with the class III trama plates and armoured joints.

2. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

A nice review

Glad to see it's toughened up. I have an older W30 model that I take out kayaking (stuck to the bow of my kayak with a suction monopod, taking photos once a minute automatically) and it was a toss-up at the time between that and the competing equivalent Olympus model, which was shock-proof, drop-proof, and all sorts of other 'tough' while the Pentax was only water/dustproof. However, the Olympus came out well on top for technical features and picture quality, and I'm glad to see that future models can cope well against the competition too. From personal experience, I highly recommend this range of Pentax point'n'shoot to outdoorsy types for camping, hiking, kayaking and similar sports.

3. KjetilS
    Thumb Up

Love the W-series

I have the previous model (W80) myself and it's excellent. Not perfect picture quality, but I often bring it into the water and snap pictures both under and close to water. Have dropped it a couple of times as well. Still works without any problems as well.

Oh, and if you actually do manage to kill it with water, Pentax will replace it for you. (Atleast Pentax have done so with the older W-models.)

4. xeroks
    Thumb Up

excellent cameras

I have a W60, which is excellent for hillwalking.

Just stick it in a trouser pocket, and you don't need to worry about the rain or anything.

The photo quality is more than adequate for me.

Sounds like the W90 is smaller, more rugged and has better video - all to the good!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like