back to article HP's Palm buy was all about WebOS

HP's CEO has been explaining that the company didn't buy Palm for its mobile phones, but for access to WebOS with a view to spreading the platform far and wide. Mark Hurd, CEO of HP, was speaking at a technology conference hosted by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as reported by ZDNet. He explained that spending $1.2bn on Palm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hans 1
    Grenade

Ahhhh finally

Palm bought-out .... guyz, you made it! It took you a decade, but you managed to sink the ship, congrats!

As for HP, keep those Palm exec's ... they're as good as Fiona, or even better, at driving companies into the ground ... slowly but surely!

2. Paul Ross

Pixi

o2 is bad news for the Pixi. Priced too near the Pre Plus!

3. John 62

one more OS in the collection

How many OSs does HP have now?

HP-UX, Tru64, Non-Stop and now WebOS. Tru64 will probably pass away as Alphas die, but there's a lot of effort in supporting them all right now.

1. Jabro

True, but ...

While it is true that WebOS is joining HP's collection of proprietary OS's, WebOS is not _quite_ in the same category as HP-UX, Tru64, Non-Stop, and don't forget VMS. I really wonder how HP will capitalize on WebOS and Palm's other patents. I'm not sure I feel the need for a WebOS enabled printer or laptop.

HP-UX, VMS, and Non-Stop look to be around for years to come, and I'm sure there is plenty of money to be made servicing their substantial installed base. We'll see how they fare against Lin/Win on x86 and AIX on Power going forward. Current signs do not bode well, unless HP/Intel really get their act together, but that is a topic for a different discussion..

As for Tru64/Alpha, sales of new systems stopped several years ago, though support looks to carry on until at least 2012.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/pdf/Tru64%20roadmap%20march09.pdf

4. TheSloth
    Big Brother

webOS

webOS is what Java should have been. Now we'll have a big mess if HP is successful with webOS..

5. MacRat
    Joke

New HP Calculator

Palm phones to be replaced by HP Palm Calculators.

6. Tom Stone
    Unhappy

Short sited on HP's part

The Palm WebOS phones would be killers if they had HP's manufacturing and engineering expertise. What a waste if HP just dumps all of that hard work that went into the phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like