back to article Intel unveils ultrathinnest ultrathin

Intel has announced on a new "innovation platform" that it claims will enable the world's thinnest netbooks. Intel claims that its new Canoe Lake platform, a refinement of the on the company's Atom-based Pine Trail platform, will allow for netbooks to be built at an anorexic 14mm thick. By comparison, Dell's ultrathin notebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the Sony X series already thinner than that

Sony managed to make a 12.2mm thick netbook with the old chips, I wonder how thin they can possibly go with this. At this point hard drives are likely the limiting factor so they may have to go ssd only

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Too fat.

So what? that's at least a couple of mm above what *can* be done already.

I have a business notebook. 10mm thick. No moving parts. Infinite battery life and infinite range of color display.

Replacements available at all leading stationers.

Bring me some real news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: 10mm

... and we would all love to know the brand, model and specs (particularly the infinite capacity battery) of your business laptop...

Unless, of course, you are talking about a paper page-based actual notebook. Then the only question is spiral bound, or perforated?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

AC@19:50

"Then the only question is spiral bound, or perforated"

Perforated, to allow backup and long term storage.

Seriously I've never found a laptop that didn't look (and often was) clumsy and fragile with a stupid battery life. Has anyone run identical laptops loaded with Windows and Linux under identical benchmarks to see what the battery life difference is? I'll bet *most* battery tech improvement has been sunk under Windows overhead, but I'm not certain.

1. Al 6

Phoronix did those tests

They compared default installs of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 on an Asus Eee 1201N and a Lenovo T61, and Windows won every time. The original Aspire One needed a number of manual tweaks to save power if you weren't using the Acer-supplied distro, and I suspect the same is true if these.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_windows_part2&num=1

Coat

@AI 6

Astonishing. I'll admit I'd figured the Linux distro would win hands down. #

The article reckons it's mostly due to ACPI support being much better in Windows (let me guess MS had a big hand in writing the standard?)

Something to play for with the next Linux release?

BTW lowish power ROM bootable *nixes have been around since at *least* the mid 80'x

Mine's the one with a 1984 copy of Byte showing the M68k based *nix HP computer

3. Daniel Evans

Fragile?

Does it make a nice noise if you snap it in two?

Happy

@Daniel Evans

"Does it make a nice noise if you snap it in two?"

Not *quite* as nice as this thing would. OTOH I can still use *both* halves afterward.

Being non-reflective its "display" surface is also immune from passing cats mistaking it for an intruder on its home territory. This happened to a friend of mine's IBM laptop (yes it was back when IBM still *made* them) and his *very* well fed feline.

LCD screens have never been cheap.

4. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Sexy - But...

I'd like to know the projected expected battery run time, says he with a HP Tablet extra external battery pack that gives me about 8 hours.

I'll take hours over minutes.

Paris - Mainly out of habit, any pun that crosses my mind will undoubtedly be the same as yours.

Night Night everyone (7 hours behind you lot).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like