back to article Mystic Met is serial Strategy Boutique john

Free Whitepaper - Synergies for Stakeholder Engagement The Met Office's addiction to rebranding has been revealed: it has changed its slogan five times in three years. You'd be hard pressed to find much evidence of this on its website, though. But the Mystic Met wasn't the most dependent Boutique-botherer. Wiltshire Police …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

I have a better one for all police services to use:

"Looking for and sometimes chasing and capturing bad guys because you're not really allowed to and don't have time.".

Or, how about a more up to date one:

"Keeping our arrest figures looking as good as we can, no matter how petty the crimes, so half of us aren't made redundant.".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They don't need to be MADE redundant...

...around here, most of them ARE redundant - as far as protecting the public, at any rate.

One local officer recently retired with a record number of traffic prosecutions - and he wasn't even a traffic cop. Just years and years of cheap pinches, and a talent for being somewhere else when real trouble started. He once sat for an hour next to a parked car, waiting for midnight so he could ticket the car for expired road tax (he didn't get away with that one). No penalties for him either, though, other than a fat pension, even after decades of being a total waste of space.

If I were to list the dozen biggest villains in this area, half of them would be in a blue uniform.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just one more illustration...

...of how head in the clouds so much of British so-called 'management' has become - in almost every walk of life. People who think that having 'Manager' stencilled on their door actually makes them one, and who really do believe that catch phrases are an acceptable substitute for sensible policy, and that endless meetings pass for actual work.

Not always entirely their fault, of course, when so many are surrounded by sycophants who never dream of telling their boss anything he doesn't want to hear, and 'teamwork' has simply become a euphemism for passing the buck.

1. burberry00

Manager? What does that mean any more?

On a regular basis I seem to have the same conversation with shops, council offices, service providers. Usually with some barely pubescent youngster:-

"I need to speak to the manager."

- "I'm the manager sir - how can I help you?"

"I need you to sort (whatever)."

- "I'm sorry sir - I can't do anything about that."

"Then you're not the manager - you just think you are. How do I get to speak to the _real_ manager please?"

Oh, and you forgot to include leaflets. They too seem to have taken the place of real work in so many service organisations these days.

3. Jimmy Floyd
    Coat

Oh shit...

What if Labour were right? What if £6bn worth of cuts (and the rest) send strategy boutiques around the country into their own internal recession?! Wouldn't that just be awful?

Mine's not the red one.

4. Is it me?

Roll on

The departure of the B Ark.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, does anybody actually know

what the current Met Office slogan actually is?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

isn't it ...

"oink, oink, I'm off to review some CCTV footage of some foreigners"

?

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove
        Pirate

possibly...

...but it's a bloody weird thing for the UK’s National Weather Service to be doing. Wouldn't that be more something up the Metropolitan Police's alley? ;)

Meanwhile, I particularly enjoyed "Some mottos seem to be statements of the obvious, such as "Sussex Police Serving Sussex". " So THAT'S where the "X Y is X" meme came from...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/x-y-is-x-redundant-adjectives-are-redundant

2. LinkOfHyrule
        WTF?

Confused?

Are you getting the Met (Police force in Greater London) confused with the Met Office (Weather liars). I think you maybe!

I thought their slogan was: "It's raining again!"

2. Professor Tinklepants
      Joke

@ So, does anybody actually know

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's something like:

"It's a bit wet out, innit? Oh, it's not? Bugger..."

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ So, does anybody actually know

"Never let the evidence get in the way of your computer model".

6. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Spin...

...trumps substance. The wayback machine tells all.

Not even worth a beer.

7. Steve Crook

Cuts to frontline services

Now I understand why that 6bn is going to mean cuts to frontline services. After all, without a mission statement it's going to be impossible for most govt. organisations to function. If the price of keeping a mission statement is letting a few people at the sharp end get their P45s, I'm sure it will be well worth it.

8. Marvin the Martian
    Alert

Your graphic

Your graphic clearly misses feedback (and hence synergy). Please add some spurious arrows.

9. Lonesome Twin
    Pint

Still SOME sense left!

.... However, Hampshire County Council sees no need for a motto.

A spokesman said: "We believe that the phrase 'Hampshire County Council' neatly outlines what we are, what we do and which community we serve."

Think they deserve a beer!

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Dose exactly what it says on the tin.

Hampshire County Council - Kicking it oldskool!

10. Richard Williams 2
    FAIL

Deliver what?

How the chuff does anyone 'deliver' a community? Ignoring the question of exactly how safe/confident/whatever the community is, I want to know where they intend to put it. And what are they doing delivering these communities when they should be policing the communities they are already assigned to?

Stupid plods.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Hmmm ...

I work in a Council department which was "re-branded" ... we now answer the phone stating who we are, followed by mentioning who we were so the caller doesn't think they mis-dialled *sigh* Then the director said "that was a great idea, maybe all the other departments should be re-branded too!" and I momentarily lost the will to live.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Wiltshire Police

"Primus et Optimus" - I initially read it as 'Optimus Prime'. 'Course they could never live up to that image in dealing with the bad guys, so I can see why they changed it.

This topic is closed for new posts.