back to article Hesitant Mozilla nurses Firefox 3.6.4 baby for a bit longer

The planned release of a full fat version of Mozilla’s Firefox 3.6.4 browser has been pushed back to an unspecified date sometime this month. The open source outfit was expected to unleash Firefox 3.6.4 today, after letting loose a Release Candidate of the browser last weekend. It seems that Mozilla has delayed the release by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking forward to this one

The lame flash plugin, which is horrid on anything non-windows is the only thing that screws my browser up these days (I don't use java either, not that you see a lot of that out on the intertubes any more).

I'm looking forward to this one, a small but welcome feature.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firefox 3.6

I wondered if I was having problems with my Fedora 13 install (released last week) when Firefox 3.6 seemed to have very slow page loading and page scrolling. Googling "Firefox 3.6 slow" got a ton of hits, so it seems that it's not me or Fedora13 - it's a problem with Firefox. In the mean time, Opera - which has it's problems too - is MUCH faster loading and scrolling pages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hmm

Dunno, had a load of things crap out on Fedora 13, including various commercial apps. I'm avoiding it like the plague now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And?

Any chance, Mozilla, of making your browser act like less of a pig before you and Chrome switch places?

4. Steve Mason
    WTF?

Odd, firefox auto-updated to 3.6.4 here this morning.

5. windywoo

Anyone who thinks FF acts like a pig

Needs to look at their machine. FF works like a charm for me on everything but the oldest hardware. Chrome may load faster with a single page but if you have multiple tabs it loses its advantage. And then there is Chrome's adblocker which only hides the ads but doesn't stop them from downloading.

1. Sean Kennedy

Eh?

I've got chrome and adblocker/flashblock, the exact same stuff I ran with firefox. Not sure what you are talking about.

As far as performance; Chrome runs just fine with 20+ tabs open. The same tab layout that can knock Firefox over. And god forbid I get a run away flash process in FF.

FF has gotten bloated, and their render engine was never really that good anyway. They are loads better than IE, true. But to dismiss the benefits of Chrome reaks of bias.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

bah

No true ad blocking, not a true browser. lol

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not sure what you are talking about."

Sums it up. It's not rocket surgery.

The ad blocker for chrome just hides the ads- so still the bandwidth is eaten, and all the drive-by malware opportunities are present. I'm avoiding chrome for now, until there's a real ad blocker.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I don't understand

I use it all the time along with seamonkey and don't have crashes. what the heck are people doing to cause that?

7. Harry
    Happy

Firefox hasn't crashed here for many many months.

Maybe its because I have noscript and noflash. Anything that moves and still gets past those gets instantly hit with Remove It Permanently, so most of those nasty annoyances never get a chance to crash the browser.

Maybe it would be more productive if web designers used some common sense and left the annoyances out.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

whack

3.6.4 beta likes to turn off Aero for its window only when using flash sometimes. Hope this is fixed in the rc/final!

1. Jordan Davenport

Not quite experienced that myself

I've been using the 3.6.4 beta since the first official build. I've not once had it disable Aero on me. I'm using Windows 7 with a Radeon HD 4850, rather recent drivers. I have had random apps disable Aero for their own windows before though. Photoshop CS2 in particular likes to do that, seemingly randomly.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Firefox now acting like a pig.

Yes Firefox (my favorite browser) is now acting like a pig, and does crash quite often.

This may be memory leaks problem.

I use very few plugins: webmail , xmarks, and foxlingo.

And yes it is true that Chrome (still in beta) is now quite good on FC13: stable as a rock.

A.C

10. Argh

Firefox crashes

The only thing that occasionally causes my Firefox seems to be a random crash some time shortly after using Webex.

I do however see large memory leaks that slow it dow after a week of heavy usage if I don't close all the browser windows and restart.

This topic is closed for new posts.