back to article Apple opens doors to vanity publishers

Apple has provided a publishing service on the iPad for those who don't want to go through all the hassle of finding a publisher. Responding to a long-standing enquiry from Mac Life, Cupertino is now inviting budding authors to sign up for self-publishing, as long as the work is in ePub format, the author has an ISBN and a US …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

How are you going to be swamped?

"Apple is the first but it won't be the last and we look forward to being swamped by the literary equivalent of thousands of farting applications any day now."

Far from swamped, I, personally, will never even see any of this drivel. Are you actually going to go out of your way to submit yourself to it? If so, why?

2. Greg J Preece

Cuger Brant will be pleased

This is going to be the comedy app of the century.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Argh, rays!

I was going to post more or less the same, nice to see that I'm not the only one waiting with bated trousers to see what Cunt Barger graces the poor unsuspecting iPad with :)

2. Cuger
      Happy

Methinks (Cuger Brant)

Thank you for the mention! Well, getting there bit by bit. My new enterprise is coming shortly!!

Sooo nice to be infamous!

What is it about Cuger Brant that riles the lost, the sad, they, who need purpose and meaning.

Books going very well!

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Nice try

You're clearly not the real Cuges, as there isn't enough inappropriate adjectival masturbation...

..he laughed, sadly.

3. DZ-Jay

Pubit?

Did Barns & Noble's self-publishing program actually called "Pubit"? In my head, that's pronounced, "pube it," which has a strange fetishy sound to it.

-dZ.

1. Lunatik
      FAIL

Once again: The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

To me it's either pube-it or pooh-bit, either way it's not very savoury.

2. frank ly

Pub it

I 'read' it as "pub it", meaning do it in the pub, with a drink or two, or three. I do my best thinking in the pub but haven't tried taking my netbook in for a writing session yet.

4. JetSetJim
    FAIL

For the US ISBN Cost

From the link: "The total cost for a block of ISBNs is the registration fee plus the processing fee." Registration fee is $30 for 10, but the cheapest processing fee is $245, making a total cost (for a USian) of $275

Seems like the UK is reasonably cheaper than the US, not the other way around

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Costlier UK ISBNs

Due to American efficiency and it not being a rip-off country, or are ours pricier to reflect the average greater number of syllables per word?

I'm tempted to throw in something about Blackadder's offering his confibularities to Dr. Johnson, but it would sound like IT Sales speak.

1. DavCrav
      Headmaster

Contrafibularities

I hate to bring you up on your spelling of a non-existent word, but...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=contrafibularities

6. Jon 37
    Flame

"only $30 if you're American"

It's actually $245.00, according to the page you linked to. That's $30 registration fee for the ISBNs, plus a $215 "processing fee". Unusually, the UK price is actually cheaper than the US one.

Flames are for the marketers who put the $30 fee first and hide the $215 in small print.

7. ben gladstone

Amazon's createspace service is way ahead

Amazon's https://www.createspace.com has been around for years and comes with all the bells & whistles you could imagine, from copy editing and jacket design to bookstore distribution.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

At what cost?

And what sort of heinous agreement will they get these hopeful authors to sign, for this privilege? No doubt the words 'irrevocable', 'world-wide', 'perpetual', 'royalty-free' and 'exclusive' will appear in the small print somewhere. What joy it must be to be monetised as another Apple revenue stream.

9. Juan Inamillion

It's not often...

that I have to look up a word on El Reg... NIce.

"...with reasonable celerity"

10. Steve the Cynic

self-publishing != vanity publishing

self-publishing is when you act as your own publisher, doing all the stuff that comes before (and alongside) actually printing the books (or packaging them into the e-book format of your choice). for many niche writers, this may be more effective - publishing houses are notorious for not actually doing any marketing outside of the latest pot-boiler, and even in some cases for what amounts to sabotage of the writer's own marketing efforts.

vanity publishing is when a normal publisher lets *anyone* pay to publish books on the publisher's label. vanity publishers usually have lower-than-normal acceptance criteria (i.e. non-existent aside from legal liability checks), as the vain writer is paying to have the book published.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

re: "self-publishing != vanity publishing"

Cuges, is that yourself?

11. Major N

yup

I red it as in "Cubit" as well, and got strange images of personal topiaries being shaved into the words of books. Could make Turning the Page interesting...

12. skeptical i

celerity | celebrity | celery ...

... better off using an aggregator to get any of 'em out of Apple, given how they treat app developers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like