back to article Acer CEO whips out iPad rival

Acer has shown off an Android-based iPad alternative. CEO Gianfranco Lanci whipped out the 7in colour-screen gadget at a press event in Beijing today and promised to bring the unnamed product to market in Q4. Oddly named website Shufflegazine took a snap of Lanci and Acer's new baby. Acer tablet Acer's tablet and friend …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach
    Thumb Up

Is that...

...a keyboard occupying the space beneath the screen? If so, WIN.

2. LuMan
    WTF?

What the HELL...

..is the picture on that device???

It looks a bit rude to me.

3. Stefing

Zooming in...

Looks like it's running Android.

And it has a keypad?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"Looks like it's running Android."

Wow. Attentive, aren't we? Especially when the very first sentence in the article says:

"Acer has shown off an Android-based iPad alternative."

But after all, what fun is reading?

4. stupormundi
    Paris Hilton

... and friend.

"Acer's tablet and friend "

Not to be, like, sexist or some shit like that, but I liked the original netbook FRIEND so much better.

5. Lusty
    Jobs Halo

That would have to be VERY cheap

to be a "rival" to the ipad

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Pre-announce?

Test the waters? Don't have to commit? Q4 - that's a wish! These twats that announce something when it isn't anywhere near release need to stop doing this. Don't announce a product unless it's a real product. They're just trying to get you to hold off on purchasing any other product. Twats.

Will be interesting to see how the release version matches this one, and how close to Q4 it is released.

7. James 51

E-Reader

The E-Reader is coming out sooner and is far more interesting to me. Any word on the price?

8. spegru

yum

like it.

want one

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

A better Kindle.

Touch screen, check

Color LCD, check

Qwerty keypad, check

GSM/UMTS module, probably.

And there's a Kindle App for Android...

WANT!

9. Ben Rosenthal

zooming in?

try the first line of the article :p

I blame bloody CSI!

:D

10. richard 69
    Grenade

so wrong...

"a Kindle-style Qwerty keypad." so a complete step back 5 years then....come on, the future of these type of devices is a touch screen not a iggly piggly type-with-a-cocktail-stick keyboard.....the kindle looks like a gcse design project by a one eyed lizard (called keith)...move on people....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

re: so wrong

Ah, but there are people out there who wants devices with qwerty keyboards. Particularly the geeks (myself included). Reason being we all have had bad experiences with handwriting recognition and have been soured by the difficulty of using a on-screen keyboard without a stylus on early UIQ/WinCE devices. Plus, we have text thumbs (being the type that type long, properly spelled messages over SMS and not use aberrations). I myself avoid phones that doesn't have a qwerty keyboard for that reason alone.

11. Robert E A Harvey
    Linux

trust

would you trust Acer with another linux product after they caved in to M$ on the netbooks? I'd be worried about lack of updates or support

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Simple maths

Let statement P be

no plans to release + working on it (a device that is) = it is in development but marketing not yet involved

Let statement Q be

press release

Then P + Q = of course we are going to do it. Think we're daft?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like