back to article Site news: Track this forum

This week we introduced "Track this Forum", a membership feature for commentards and lurkers on El Reg and reghardware forums. Take this example: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2010/05/26/captain_cyborg_cyberfud/ See the grey star? See "Track this forum"? Click the link and log-in to El Reg forums, if you haven't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Any chance

you could have a feature to mark read posts, or to be able to sort by date posted ? Popular topics are a pig to read, as I can't easily see what was written when .... apart from that - Love it !

2. 46Bit
    Dead Vulture

Any news

Any news as regards not storing passwords as plaintext by any chance? If you've time to do that it's not like this'd be that big a task...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Any chance (2)...

... that you can sort the comments so they appear in chronological order... you know, like a sensible order rather than just a random splurge? Pretty please?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any chance (2)...

Semi-threaded comments - e.g. where responses to comments are carried immediately underneath the original comment - is a featurenotabug. I don't think it is a very controversial feature, either.

But obviously we could do better how we present this semi threading.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Re: Any chance (2.5)

Well OK, I hadn't realised that, but it's pointless with this new facility which is - presumably - intended to bring us back to read new comments.... we can't read "just" the new comments by remembering the last one we read and continuing from that point onwards.

So we have to start at the beginning & try and remember what we've already read?

B*gger that!!

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

NNTP feed?

Maybe a NNTP news feed, so that we can use a proper threading news reader? Just have to find a host for it now that they seem to be closing...

4. Brutus

Added Functionality

Could you add some kind of flag to the link that indicates when there are new comments? That would be very handy.

5. Andy ORourke
    Unhappy

Any Chance (3)

That when you click on the comments link you could get taken to the FIRST page of comments rather than the LAST page of comments?

1. Steve Foster

Better Yet...

...how about dropping the paging of comments entirely.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any Chance (4)

Any chance you could let me stay logged in for more than a few hours?

And make the vote buttons a bit more web 2.0 with some ajax so we don't have a pointless confirmation page?

1. Lunatik
      Go

What he said...

With bells on, and quick sharp!

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Thumb Up

"Remember me"

...and make the "Remember me" actcually remember me, so I don't have to type my login details each time I want to vote on a post?

1. Steve Foster

Inverted Functionality?

I *always* uncheck the Remember Me box, and yet ElReg is extremely elephantine in that regard (it never forgets).

Maybe the use of the flag has accidentally been inverted?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Any Chance (5)

You can update the Gates icons to Ballmer icons?

8. Haku

Any Chance (5)

Any chance you could re-stock the biscuit tin?

Preferably with jaffa cakes please.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How many times....

Jaffa Cakes are not biscuits! They are, as the name implys, CAKE.

Cakes go hard when stale, biscuits go soft.

9. MnM
    Linux

Any Chance (6)

you could make Stephen Conroy look like Danny DeVito's Penguin?

10. LinkOfHyrule
    Jobs Horns

Any Chance

Any chance we can have a "Track how many Apple Fanbois you've upset" feature?

11. Basic

Give 'em a car and they complain it's not a Ferrari

I agree with a most of the suggestions above (unread flag, highlighting unread posts somehow, etc.) but it does highlight how much we all whinge

(Cue recursion)

1. sandman

Whinging?

Don't regard it as whinging, regard it as a keen interest in improving a service we all love/loath/treat with contempt (delete where applicable). The Jaffa cakes are the best idea though - hand delivered at 11am on Fridays please.

12. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

Feature requests

Oooooh! A place to publicly air my feature requests! Okay, let me dig up that e-mail...

OH GOD, WHY ALWAYS THE FRYING PAN?!?!?!?

*whack*

13. Jerome 0
    Heart

Yet more begging for features

Any chance of a way to keep track of new replies to our own comments? That would be really handy for those of us self-absorbed enough to only care about our own posts.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Jerome 0

Do what I do (I use Firefox for this):

1) use the "my forums" link on the top right hand side of this page. This will tell you which of the threads you have commented in have been updated. (Updated threads show up as unvisited links.)

2) Open an updated thread in a new tab

3) press Ctrl-f to bring up the search, and punch in your username.

4) Hit "next" a few times, and it will take you to your posts in that thread.

Voila: you have no skimmed a long thread for your posts, and can quickly check for replies.

If you stay on top of the "my forums" page, you can frequently check threads for updates.

The "my posts" page will tell you if your comments are being held in the queue, have been accepted, or rejected. They also contain links directly to those comments, in the context of their thread. (Look for the arrows and hash marks and the like.)

A little bit of exploration should have you finding most of the features you want already exist. The web team here has done a fantastic job with this site.

1. Jerome 0

Unread replies

Cheers for the tip. That's pretty much what I do already as it happens, apart from going via "My posts" rather than "My forums". But it would be great if the "My posts" page had an indicator showing how many unread replies there are to each comment, to save all that messing with tabs and searches.

Not that any of this is vitally important or anything. I agree that whoever's written the comments system here has done a great job, it's already way better than most sites.

This topic is closed for new posts.