back to article VMware overhauls desktop virt line

VMware has upgraded its Workstation hypervisor for PCs and Fusion hypervisor for Macs, with the goal of giving them more native performance, particularly for graphics — notorious for being clunky enough to make users cranky. VMware got its start virtualizing desktops and only gradually moved into the data center, and it still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Inachu
    Alert

RAAA!!!

Can't wait until I can run WOW in the server room!

2. Nexox Enigma

Can't wait to try...

Last time I tried various 3D CAD software in VMWare Workstation 7.0, it ran much faster without 'hardware' graphics acceleration enabled on the VM. I guess I'll need to grab a trial of this new one and see if it's maybe worth paying for. And apparently I'll have to try it with Windows 7 (probably not worth paying for, but that's what borrowed MSDN credentials are for, isn't it?), as the article doesn't mention XP on the driver compatibility list...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ya ya ya

but can it run crisis?

4. AndrueC Silver badge

No cigar

I'd prefer them to fix VMWare Server 2 so that it didn't run like such a dog (several of our servers are still running 1.x because guests perform better). It'd also be nice if they fixed the compatibility issues with Windows 7.

Still - I don't suppose we should expect too much of free software. It mostly works - it's just annoying how 2.0 was a step back from 1.0 in several areas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

VMware Server is going end of life

Server was just the next step along from GSX, already redundant when ESX (and the free Type 1 hypervisor ESXi) came along. The datacentre needed ESX and ESXi, and developers and the like needed workstation. But Server was absolutely redundant as soon as ESXi was free. Why use a type 2 hypervisor for production VMs when you have a single point of failure in the OS, as well as performance contention? Their ESXi is free, and bare metal, so you'll get much better performance and stability - you can run production on it instead.

If you are locked into using a type 2 hypervisor (maybe don;t want to shell out for Servers on their HCL), then use the free Player instead - at least is being updated, whereas I'm told Server is End of Life either this year or next.

in short, Server is crap, move on! :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit late though

VMWare focused on the server, where the money was, and charge way too much for the mac version.

Virtualbox is becoming the common VM env that we use: free, good command line tooling, and much lighter weight on the desktop, and especially the laptop.

6. OffBeatMammal

Fusion rocks, but...

on a BootCamp Mac you end up needing to get two Windows licenses to activate both in BootCamp and in Fusion. for the $ you'd hope they'd have fixed that by now

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

a title

> - it's just annoying how 2.0 was a step back from 1.0 in several areas.

Well you don't have to worry about VMware Server anymore as it is dead.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/269512

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like