back to article IT Crowd gets fifth series run

Readers rejoice, the IT Crowd is to return with a fifth series of the popular Channel 4 sitcom. IT Crowd creator Graham Linehan confirmed to reporters at a Bafta screening of the upcoming fourth series last night that a fifth instalment of the show had already been commissioned. The über “turn it off and on again” IT support …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Squirrel
    Megaphone

awesome

and watch 'FAQ About Time Travel' whilst you're at it.

1. andy gibson

FAQ About Time Travel

was a complete load of crap.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not Fair..

... I want an El Reg mug for the office!

1. Captain Thyratron

Then buy one!

I'm pretty sure the things are for sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

title required

I looked at the store - only teeshirts! Thats probably inappropriate attire for the office.

3. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

I Hope

They bring back Chris Morris

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

and...

...Noel Fielding for an episode or two.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

I watched...

But didn't see any of the votive El Reg offerings in the show.

Still Katherine Parkinson back on the screen is no bad thing ;-)

5. Bonce

El Reg Merchandise

Was any of it seen on the show?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Couldn't get past the first season

Just too many old tired jokes that I have heard ages ago. Nothing new in there and the characters were annoying more than anything.

Perhaps I'm missing something in the new seasons though. I doubt it.

1. Chris007
      Grenade

I nearly didn't but glad I did

The first series was certainly a 20 yr old cliche inducing gut fest but they found their feet after this and I really enjoyed series 2 and 3.

2. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

Perhaps I'm missing something...

... yes, The Big Bang Theory!

Geek humour that's actually funny.

3. Ancient Oracle funkie
      Thumb Down

Damn! I forgot to add a title

Why so many thumbs down? All the AC said was that he/she didn't get past the 1st series. What's more, neither did I. It probably promised too much, not only written by one of the writers of Father Ted but also featuring Chris Morris. What could possibly go wrong?

For me, just about everything. Didn't make me laugh and the acting seemed a wee bit hammy. So I didn't get to the end of the first series and sort-of assumed that when the 2nd series appeared without Chris Morris, it was because he didn't find it funny either (whereas in reality he might have had other things to do).

But if the consensus is that later series were better, I might tune in again.

Paris - and thumbs ...

7. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Woohoo!!

I'm so excited I just went to the toilet a little bit!!

8. Mark Rendle
    FAIL

Fifth?

It beggars belief that it got past the pilot.

9. memgrubb

Brilliant!

Love it! Miss Chris Morris though.

10. Elmer Phud
    IT Angle

Upgrade

"Click here to install upgrades before restarting"

11. Peter H. Coffin

Props Dept Field Trip

Hopefully, they'll get to at least view some photographs of actual geeky offices, as most tend to have thematic elements rather more focused than just "geeky". While a Star Trek fan might let a little Star Wars crap occupy some space, it will seldom be equal, and even within the broad group of "Star Trek Fan", the vast majority will exhibit distinct preferences for TOS, TNG, or Later Series...

And then we get into the whole rant about props looking entirely too new and shiny to be the worn tools and loved detritus of a life lived...

12. Gaz Jay

I hope

I just hope it's better than the last two series. And they get rid of Douglas Reynholm (can't stand that character).

13. Annihilator

Jen revived

Does this mean she won't need to appear on bloody Maltesers commercials anymore? Granted she is marginally funnier in those.

14. Mark73
    Thumb Up

I don't know...

... if it's the loss of blood or the melting plastic from the monitor, but I feel great!

15. pctechxp

Great news

I just hope the Jesus phone doesn't not make an appearance as it isn't a geek's device.

1. Russ Tarbox

Haha

Great to see someone manages to squeeze in an anti-apple comment.

Now we just need some Linux loser to moan that they only use Windows or some other bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

actually

episode's intro's Blue screen is a Fedora Kernel Panic, so there's some linux in there, who needs it *shrug*

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

A quick shout round the office..........

says geeks use nokias (5), iphone, (2) Android (1 each HTC & Nexus) motorola v3i (1) & Sony Ericsson (2).

I have shot the non geeks!

1. Steven Knox
        Boffin

Yeah, but

did you check the vibrate on those phones...?

2. John Sanders
        Alert

You forgot...

The blackberries.

16. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

You people drink..

.. Like you don't want to live!

17. Winters
    Stop

BOFH.

Stop sending me fake BOFH alerts in my emails, you heartless bastards! Seriously, you are just grinding my day into the ground every time you send me one of those emails and I find out that you have been lying to me again. I hate you right now, El Reg.

18. King Jack
    Pirate

what happened to series 4?

To my knowledge there have only been 3 series of this show? As shown by TV listing and torrent sites.

1. Andy ORourke
      Joke

I think you are right

Any new series would be series 4 right, not 5? (Unless of course they are using the same versioning as Microsoft (couldnt resist a dig :-))

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Series 4

Series 4 supposedly airs in June on Channel 4.

It is already on the Channel4 website, but no air dates as of yet.

This is a quote from that site:

"Jen is looking for new challenges and applies to be the Entertainment Officer, Moss beats all records on a popular spelling show and Roy spends a disproportionate amount of time trying to convince an old friend that he is not a window cleaner. Inevitably, there's naked aerobics, bunking off work, marriages and divorces."

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@King Jack

Learn to read, or get a minion to read it out to you.

4. PaulStevo
      FAIL

re read the article?

"upcoming fourth series"

...as in, not been on yet. I believe the article also says it's to be shown in the summer :)

5. King Jack
      Unhappy

I should learn to read..

I really should clean my specs before commenting. (but I don't wear them).

19. Mike Green
    Thumb Up

re: pctechxp

But remember, they started off slagging off friendface too, then were sucked into it....

Yay! 2 more series to watch. The second was a bit iffy, but the 3rd was even funnier.

Damn these electric sex pants!

1. Thomas 4
      Thumb Up

That accounting team...

I had...every...last....one of them. *keels over*

20. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

the IT Crowd was never funny

Never, not for an instant, could do with some funny lines and rehersal ...

21. Russ Tarbox
    Thumb Up

Great show.

They got all the cheesy jokes out of the way early and now it's gone the way of Father Ted ... absolutely bizarre, brilliant and not really a lot to do with the IT aspect at all. I love it - never fails to make me laugh.

22. DrStrangeLug

Didnt find it funny.

The Big Bang Theory though - that space rocks!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

no laughing matter

TBBT is so unfunny it pains me to catch sight of a it while channel hopping.

1. Bonzo the Wonder Dog
        Thumb Down

Couldn't agree more, o kindred spirit

TBBT is hideous, and typical of a very old genre - The American Index Finger Comedy... Fonzie walks in shot, strikes pose with index finger extended, "live studio audience" ruins collective trousers, repeat for 11 years at 26 episodes per year...

Give us peace.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have an idea

What about giving Antoine de Caunes a part in the show, perhaps a French IT administrator who takes part in some kind of fact-finding cross-cultural, EU-subsidised exchange thingy, and finds their operation "a bit 20th century" whilst constantly saying that in France IT is a stylish highly paid job and women find IT workers debonair, suave and sophisticated, much to the irritation of those two gobshites? Jen could be all over him like a rash, citing Kate Sanderson as her all time roll model.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no thanks

are you Antoine de Caunes?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: no thanks

Yes!

24. Alex 79
    Thumb Up

I was there...watching

And it were great - I did actually wet myself slightly but only cos the Q&A was too long and I'd had a beer. Series 4 is starting in June, but they were told as they finished filming that they were getting a fifth one so all good.

All I can say is, I didn't think being a roleplayer could have been any uncooler until I watched one of the new episodes.

I'm ashamed, don't look at me.

25. Admiral Grace Hopper

Oh - you are a load of old grumpy pants, arent you?

Is there one of you who hasn't wished that they'd thought of doing the "Internet Presentation" to a team of managementroids?

26. illiad

If you are a true bizarro geek...

then like some here you will love IT crowd...

But if you love BigBang, you are really a full nerd - check it properly, only a small part is computers, the rest manga, quantum stuff, etc...

I will leave you to argue about the name being right or not.... :P :P :P

27. Keith T

I wonder why it isn't shown in Canada

Usually at least some speciality cable channel will pick up popular Brit Coms.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

International release...

Because bittorrent suits us all fine? ;)

28. mark l 2 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I'm disabled, leg disabled

Sooo glad to hear the IT crowd returning for 2 more series, i defo think that the later series were better than the first one, think they have a nice balance between geek humour and general laughs that even none IT literate people will find funny.

Well certainly my ex GF loved it and she wouldnt even know how to turn it off to turn it back on again.

29. jason 7
    Thumb Up

Still think the Gay musical episode....

......was one of the funniest half hours of TV ever made.

"oh he did want to borrow the Heat magazine!"

30. Youngdog

No love for Matt Berry?

FAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEERRRR!!!

And rememeber - it's The Internet, it doesn't weigh anything!

And bring back Richmond!

31. Winkypop Silver badge
    IT Angle

Ra!

I've loved all of the IT Crowd series so far..

Why?

It's not reality TV

It's not a cooking show

It's not a dancing show

It''s not a cop show

It's not a life-style show.....and

It's not a sports show.

32. Tim Bates

The new number for the emergency services is 0118999881999119725............3

33. Badwolf
    Troll

Written on a Mac

Perhaps its not funny to the High Tech janitors amongst us....

34. Conrad Longmore
    Happy

0118 999..

Oh come on.. it has some of the funniest things ever:

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3.

You wouldn't kill a policeman

Internet in a Box

A stack of great quotes can be found here: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_IT_Crowd

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Thanks for the quotes page!

Loved the Tramps Like Us episode where Roy gets electrocuted by Douglas's pants and reboots with the Windows startup tune. - classic.

Glad its coming back - one of the good shows on TV.

And the Speech episode with the Internet in a box.

35. Phuzi
    Thumb Down

Unlikely...

didn't Denholm commit suicide at the beginning of series 3.

This topic is closed for new posts.