back to article Toshiba Satellite U500-1EX touchscreen notebook

Toshiba is evidently very pleased with its Satellite U500 design: it has now based several models on it, including one with joint Ducati branding. The 1EX version reviewed here adds support for Windows 7 touchscreen gestures. Toshiba Satellite U500 Toshiba's Satellite U500-1EX, decked out in an 'interesting' two-tone black …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob H
    FAIL

Fail...

They almost had me until there were two significant failures:

1) Deaf touch screen requires too much force.

2) 100Base-T instead of Gig-E?!

My three year old Lenovo has Gig-E.

Bob

2. g00se
    FAIL

No mention of Linux

Surely it's not too much trouble to throw in a Live disk and tell us how this hardware fares with the Linux distro in question?

1. Steven Knox
      Stop

No trouble at all...

For one distro. But what if they did it with, say, Knoppix, and you're, say, an Ubuntu fan? Do they just test if the distro will boot, or do they test each and every hardware module for compatibility with each app that uses it?

This is a review of hardware as delivered. The laptop was delivered with Windows 7, so that's what they tested. To test everyone's favorite OS would not be a good use of their time.

I love Linux, but I'll go to a Linux- (and preferably distro-) specific site for reviews of hardware compatibility with it.

1. g00se

@Steven Knox

Which distro to pick is of course a concern but that's a separate issue. El Reg needs to come up with a policy on that

3. JB
    Thumb Down

Fugly

...and expensive. and only 2 USB ports?? No thanks!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like