back to article Techies slap Go Daddy with class action lawsuit

Disgruntled former employees of domain-name registrar Go Daddy have filed a class action lawsuit against the company, claiming potentially millions of dollar in "stolen" bonuses and overtime. The suit claims that the domain-name market leader broke the law by using a "subjective and arbitrary" process to withhold commissions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Inachu
    WTF?

OOO!!!!!!

OY VEY!

Sounds like go Daddy rips off their employees big time.

A sale is a sale is a sale is a sale.

If you take any percentage away from me when I make a legit sale then expect a whistle blowing class action lawsuit.

My first time I was in sales I was also the highest paid salesman but it wasn't because who I knew or my skills.

Nobody took into account that the building phone switch ran under my desk and I could hear the

click of the phone switch activating thus I knew a call was comming in before the phone rang and so I picked up the phone and made 3 times more than the average sales people.

Employees complained to the boss that I was picking up the phone when no phone rang.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!

Some thought I was psychic.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Pint

Smart!!!

Not psychic - you deserved every penny!!! (Reminds me of the reason the Strowger telephone exchange was invented...)

See:

http://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm/automat1.htm

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange.

Cool story. Nice one, squire. (Icon is just a token)

2. James O'Brien
      Thumb Down

Sorry bro

"Sounds like go Daddy rips off their employees big time."

Sorry but there are always going to be people who go after a company after being "let go" for something and some who do have legitimate claims. Im of the mindset that before we start throwing accusations (which yes I know is going to happen regardless) we wait to learn more about this. Yes I know that alot (if not all) companies fuck their employees in one way or another. Trouble with this is we dont know, nor can we speculate, on how much in this case until we learn more about what is going on here.

As for your story nice one though personally I say let them bitch. Not your fault you got the cube there ;)

2. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

Yuk

I hate godaddy and if I met him I would punch this scammer.

3. Reg Sim
    Go

This reminds me of...

"We are proud to have been honored year after year by numerous third-party organizations, and our own employees, as an ethical, generous employer." - I wonder how many empoyers have said that followed by a court forced apology?

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

common here in the states

this kind of thing is common here in the states -- sales quotas, time limits, etc. etc. Having them as such is normal, but what companies will do is set them higher and higher to make sure few if anybody actually gets a bonus. Like "oh you made $2000 in sales? Well, the minimum's $2100, no bonus for you, better luck next time"

and then they wonder why employees aren't "loyal" to the company.

5. James Woods

can someone please tell me

if in 2010 or even 2009 godaddy was operating in the black? the last wikipedia edit that I read regarding them was that they were not profitable, I believe it was back to 2004 however with the way they do sell products far under cost im curious.

I love it when corporate america comes out with legal statement. Verizon has one pretty much word for word when they get accused of something.

If their company policy is not to comment on 'pending litigation' why do they comment on pending litigation with a comment regarding them not commenting on pending litigation.

ever heard of 'no comment?'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

The reason is simple

Lawyers get paid for speaking / writing, so 'No Comment' is cheaper than 'We have a policy of not answering any questions which might possibly touch on any litigation in which we, the company, might or might not be involved in. We, the company, have a record that we are proud of in customer focused leverage techniques and employee empowerment. We have a highly trained and motivated staff base and our training budget if reviewed annually."

Simples init

1. Andus McCoatover

Lawyers get paid for speaking / writing

Sooo....

Lawyer 101. Cheap >< money.

On that principle:

The second of your statement would surely earn more for the lawyers than the first.

You're obviously neither a lawyer, nor adept at finance.

I rest my case against the park bench. It's full of the Duchess of York's wedge.

6. Trevor 7

Being a techie in Arizona

I have personally known several technical people that have worked for GoDaddy. None of them had anything good to say about them when they left. Lots of upsell instead of fix the customer problems.

7. Sly

This one sounds like a disgruntaled...

but with recent events I've been privy to... some companies seem to do everything they can to invite audits and lawsuits (lost social security numbers, lost employment eligibility forms, illegal aliens working on site, W-2 with a company name other than the DBA on record, etc). As with what I'm hearing about, we'll see how this turns out.

8. Gunnard
    Thumb Down

Another area of no compensation at GoDaddy.com

After starting work at GoDaddy.com, I learned of an area where a LOT of work was required with NO compensation. To the extent demanded to answer the questions from customers, the new hire training for phone support personnel does NOT sufficiently cover the operation of the many, many Go Daddy products. Not even close.

Furthermore, in the call center, if you attempted to determine how the product works during a phone call, it required far too much time. Spending too much time on the phone with a customer would mean:

1 – The number of calls taken per day decreases

2 – The dollar volume of the sales you make goes down

3 – You then become a Go Daddy employee who not only does NOT get paid a commission, but can very, very easily be fired. It happens constantly at Go Daddy.

To keep your job, the only recourse the employee has is to learn how to use the Go Daddy products on your own at home. There is no other way to do it. After new hire training, for workers in the call canter, there is ZERO product training classes provided by Go Daddy.

The Go Daddy recruiters NEVER told me that, on my own time outside of work, I would have to spend extensive hours to train myself on their products.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like