back to article HP to plunk WebOS onto tablet

HP will be producing a WebOS-based tablet, to be on the shelves in October along with applications, but there will not be a notebook version. The news comes from HP Taiwan, as reported by Digitimes, which reveals that HP reckons notebooks need Windows but consumers will be more forgiving of a tablet-based device which will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    Thumb Up

Good move.

Apple have proved that you need the right GUI for the right platform—this is why Microsoft never managed to succeed in creating a good, consumer Tablet device.

WebOS is a much better fit for these touch-based devices. A traditional WIMP GUI will better fit the notebook and netbook markets.

I rather like Apple's stuff myself, but I'd be a lot happier if they had genuine competition, and HP are big enough, and focused enough, to provide it.

(And no, before you Google fanbots pipe up: Google aren't competing with Apple. They're competing with CNN, NBC and other "old media" companies. *Google sells ads*. That's what they do. That's all they've *ever* done. All their software is designed to sell ads. Android is just another tool to help them achieve that goal. Look closely at the new Google TV technology if you don't believe me.)

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      WTF?

Not competing with Apple?

What the hell would you call iAd then? If you think Apple isn't in that same market, think again. In their minds, ads seem to be the only surefire way to make money on the Internet (and by extension, mobile phones too, it seems). Not sure I would say that iPhone OS is anything more than a way for Apple to sell their wares (including ads).

2. DrXym

Why?

I'm struggling to think of ANY reason to use WebOS on a tablet aside from HP having plunked down a large chunk of money to buy Palm.

3. Alastair 7

RE: What the hell would you call iAd then?

Distinction: "Apple is competing with Google" != "Google is competing with Apple".

Well, sort of. iAd is Apple moving into Google's space. Sean was talking about Google invading Apple's space.

4. Carniphage

Competition is good

But over optimistic ship dates are not.

There is really no possibility of HP having a product like this ready in 2010. They have not even completed the acquisition.

Second quarter 2011 would be more realistic.

C.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I would have liked a Windows based pad

But it looks the market prefers toy devices to play with.

1. Goat Jam
      Go

Well

You've had 15 years to buy a WinTablet. What's been stopping you?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Choice

I would like to have an option of what OS goes on my slate. I don't like the idea of having to chose my hardware based on what OS it is running. Personally, of the three, Android is out front. I have issues with Apple and Palm's OS didn't really thrill me. Add to that Android's app library, while not quite as big as Apple's, is still a lot bigger than WebOS.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

On the other hands?

iPad is a market leader introducing new stuff by the second and not everyone might be able to afford it hence iPad wannabee market emerging as swiftly as iPad market.

Plus it gives Dell, HP, ... a chance to leapfrog on specifications listings/marketing with Apple devotees remaining firmly devoted.

It would appear to be a whole new ecology that compliments each supplier and at the same time does not over compromise traditional kits such as laptops, desktops, ...

Besides, large organisations would be daft not to?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like