back to article On-demand TV subject to broadcast ad rules

Advertisers and broadcasters must make sure that viewing of their adverts is as controlled on video-on-demand (VOD) services as it is when traditionally broadcast, advertising regulator the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has said. The ASA has ruled that "adequate steps [were] not taken" to ensure that children did not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Sorry maybe i misunderstood...

... but the way i read this is that, this is a program normally shown after the watershed. But it was being shown at a normal time because of the use of the VOD service.

Well sorry but if its a program normally on after the watershed, then that means its probably not suitable for your children to be watching in the first place so if they see an ad they shouldnt its your fault for letting them watch a program they potentially shouldnt be seeing!

The Nanny state wins again...

2. Gabor Laszlo
    Pirate

I never ever see adverts..

thanks to TVTorrents.com

3. Natalie Gritpants
    FAIL

Warnings on the screen?

How is that supposed to work then? It's only the kids that can work this technology in most families.

I know it's going to be expensive but the VOD companies are going to have to either restrict all ads to be suitable for children or stitch in adverts to the stream based on the time of day (at the receiving end).

4. Number6
    Joke

Ratings

Surely X-Factor ought to be restricted viewing anyway, lest it cause brain damage.

5. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

Oh, FFS!

So, if the same parent recorded the prog themselves it's O.K. as they have control over the adverts?

Doesn't seem very simple to me - would need to have a blank where adverts go and then extra servers inserting appropriate adverts to suit the time of day, target audience etc. (O.K. sort of simple) but where will the expense be met and how does this affect the way that the TV companies pimp themselves for adverts?

Ad-Tags for set-top boxes, ad's delivered via the web and not the video stream?

First set-top box with AdBlock will sell well. As will P-Ad's, paid user preferential adverts. "For just £5 per month all you will get is adverts with fluffy bunnies and pictures of 'The Little Baby Jesus' (tm).

To be honest - I'd prefer the kids were more exposed to zombies with rotting flesh falling off them than the horrors of degredation and torture known as X Factor

6. Lamont Cranston
    FAIL

Or you could just fast-forward through the adverts?

My 3-year old can navigate his way around YouTube, but I'm not daft enough to leave him unsupervised - if he watches anything "inappropriate," it's because I've let him, not because YouTube/Google/the ASA have failed to protect him.

Wakey-wakey, parents: your children are your responsibility.

1. Gaz Jay
      FAIL

That's what we do

I can't remember the last time I actually saw an advert on TV! Both my partner and I use VOD and record programs to watch TV these days because with two young children it is difficult to watch things when they are broadcast live.

Every time an advertisement break comes on the program we are watching we fast forward though them. In fact we were both discussing the other day that advertisement company's are probably a bit pissed off with VOD and Sky+!

My 3yo can't navigate his way around YouTube like your can, although he can change the TV channel himself (although he can't read the channel names or identify the kits channels yet)... but as soon as he can I'll be PIN protecting everything.

7. Matthew Collier
    Thumb Down

My kids, my responsibility...

...so, they are not allowed to touch "the buttons", they are not allowed to use the Internet unsupervised etc. etc.

The (unfiltered) world isn't for kids, that's why we all spend years "growing up", learning how it works, and how to react in/with it...

Why is personal responsibility such a supposedly "backward" idea, these days?

Jeez!

8. BigSanta

Bloody hell

9pm watershed ?

Someone needs to inform virgin 1 bods about that,as a couple of months ago,when they were showing the x-files at 10 am,they were showing some episodes that included people getting stabbed and pools of comedy red blood .

This topic is closed for new posts.