back to article Google TV: Android and Chrome on your boob tube

The Mountain View Chocolate Factory has unveiled the long-expected Google TV, an Android-based settop platform designed to meld the web with your boob tube. The platform will eventually be open sourced, and the idea is to put it on myriad settops. "It's about how to make the web and TV better," Google's Rishi Chandra said this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Natalie Gritpants

You don't know what a boob tube is do you?

The post is required, and must contain letters.

2. Anthony Shortland
    FAIL

haha murdoch

silly silly man messing with google. say goodbye to your print and tv businesses all in one go.

3. Samuel Walker
    Stop

And how long

Until they do add the Nexus One bit?

4. Tom 35

More info for Google?

I assume it will phone home with info on everything you watch so google will have even more info about you to sell to advertisers.

1. JShel
      Big Brother

Please

Someone start putting together the hack so we can disable the Google monitors when our providers force these on us.

That and some masking tape over he camera lens (they will of course need to track your eye movements to bill for hits)

2. Ammaross Danan
      Go

Title

Nah, the search bar will probably be Google-server driven, thus not able to be blocked for lookup at the very least. Of course, even TiVO phones home to report usage. This sort of datamine is right up Google's alley. I just hope that the Advert at the top of my Gmail inbox will start having lines like "You haven't set the new series premiere of Haven to record yet!!!! Click HERE to have it record automatically!"

5. Pablo
    Paris Hilton

Brilliant!

They could call it Web-TV!

6. Cliff

That's *so* yesterday...

"The platform is based on Android 2.1, and it includes Google's Chrome browser with an Adobe Flash 10.1 plug-in. After all, you'll need Flash for YouTube."

A day is a long time in open sourcing of formerly closed video codecs...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. John Lewis 4
    Big Brother

Google finally make 1984 comes true

Yes, the TV will be watching YOU!

9. Llanfair
    Joke

Google Box

Also known as a goggle box

10. The Original Steve
    FAIL

Yawn...

Looks like Windows Media Centre installed onto an appliance...

I'll come back when there's something new....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Translation.

"It's about how to make the web and TV better," lied Google's Rishi Chandra.

What he meant to say:

"It's about how we can steal more personal user data so we can sell people better" said Google's Rishi Chandra in an unexpectedly honest fashion.

12. Seanie Ryan
    Linux

when

when will Google stop trying to be Apple, Microsoft and every other company they think is "cool"

should have stuck to what you are good at lads... this could be a house of cards you are building

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like