back to article William Shatner to star in Twitter-inspired TV show

CBS will air a sitcom in which William Shatner plays a cranky old fogie whose rants are captured by a Twitter-obsessed son with a million followers. No, we're not kidding. The program is based on the real-life Twitter feed shitmydadsays, which claims more than 1.3 million followers. It was started last August by Justin Helpern …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard IV
    Coat

Shurely

It's got to be called Shat my dad says

1. fred #257
      Pint

Bugger!

I thought of that just 5 milliseconds before I read your comment.

You owe me half a beer *and* a new keyboard!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...or...

Shit my Shat says?

2. TonyHoyle

heh

So.. they cancel Heroes and FastForward.

And replace it with *this*?

*boggle*

1. theSensibleGeek

/facepalm

Um...Heroes is on NBC and Flash Forward is on ABC...

2. Dave 142

because...

1) This show will cost way less

2) Heroes & FastForward suck

3. The Unexpected Bill
    Coat

Running time?

Too bad there's already a show known as TWiT...

Oh, never mind. I'll get my coat. (various comments about the runtime and substance of the show have been elided, at the risk of overdoing the joke)

4. Graham Lockley

Title ? Mr.

Shatner and Twitter, now theres a combo that will ensure I never turn my television on ever again. All it needs to make it perfect is to be produced by Murdochs Fox channel and only broadcast on Sky.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Shatner and Twitter

Shatner and twitter... Shatner and twitter...

So do we start calling it Twatner or Shitter?

Come on... Somebody had to say it!

5. albatros183
    Stop

Don't you mean Twit- Cooooooom!

This is Shatner,

BTW stop the insanity of avatars and emotocons made with images, if you can't program it in basic on a PET you should not be saying it on the inter, web, tube thing. I'm pulling the phone from the cradle permently this time!

6. Sean
    Thumb Up

I'm actually excited

Shit my dad says is pretty much the sole redemption of Twitter as a technology. I actually think Shatner will be awesome in the role. I'll watch at least the first couple of episodes.

7. Eponymous Cowherd
    Coat

My dad says............

You Klingon bastard. You've killed my son!

8. John 62
    Thumb Up

a show about nothing

JERRY: So, we go into NBC, we tell them we've got an idea for a show about nothing.

GEORGE: Exactly.

JERRY: They say, "What's your show about?" I say, "Nothing."

GEORGE: There you go.

(A moment passes)

JERRY: (Nodding) I think you may have something there.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How the fuck?

Excuse me, but how is this even possible? If they're too terrified to use the word "shit" in the title, there may be a problem. The dad in question is an Olympic-grade practitioner of full-bore swearing...

It'd be like making a TV version of Bruce Schneier's blog without mentioning security.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Shit My S******y Professional Says

"It'd be like making a TV version of Bruce Schneier's blog without mentioning security."

We're working on it. Sticking point is Chuck Norris still hasn't agreed to play Bruce.

10. moonface

Bleep My Mum Says

Stop swearing in front of the kids!

Son, don't grow up retarded like your father. Please don't follow his example.

Nag..Nag..Nag.

11. Bryce 2
    Joke

Heh

Shatner + Twitter = Shitter?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

no

zero + Twitter = Shitter

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simpsons did it

Sounds remarkably like when Bart created the Angry Dad website.

13. Rumcajz

Beam me up, Scotty

There's no intelligent life on this planet.

14. Annihilator
    WTF?

Actors

"He's like my dad in that he says what he wants to say when he wants to say it."

Erm, just what you look for in an actor designed to read what you tell him to read??

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh!

Fat Shat back on the telly again. Any chance this will be better than Star Trek and TJ Hooker? Well I suppose it couln't be worse...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YouTube

"CBS will air a sitcom in which William Shatner plays a cranky old fogie whose rants are captured by a Twitter-obsessed son with a million followers."

Shatner's on YouTube, already... and it's way better than this show will be, because it's Shatner, and not just Shatner playing some Dad.

17. andy gibson
    Unhappy

ripoff

Sounds more like Bart Simpson's cartoon "Angry Dad"

18. Hairy
    Grenade

I expected more...

Such uninformed comments, has anyone here ever read shitmydadsays or is this a knee jerk reaction to the word twitter (well if you don't understand it, knock it eh)?

I do actually reckon this has the potential to be pretty funny, (potential mind you). As long as they keep the swearing and don't shy away from the less politically correct aspects of the dad's pearls of wisdom...

19. Naughtyhorse
    Thumb Up

title and stuff

shatner in a... new tv role.. cutting twitter limit... from 140 words.... to 3 words.... will it work....?

the question is irrelevent captain!

bring it on, never mind kirk and hooker, denny crane is the man we want back on our screens.

This topic is closed for new posts.