back to article LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 portable hard drive

Although it has been said that it won't become mainstream until it is officially adopted by Intel in 2011, USB 3.0 - aka SuperSpeed USB - is steadily emerging from the shadows with more and more manufacturers bringing support for the protocol to the eager masses. LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Shock and awe: LaCie's Rugged USB 3.0 has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sarah 7

Fungus?

Military equipment is ruggedized against mushroom attack?

2. Murphy's Lawyer
    Flame

No bloody good...

If it comes with the usual crap PSU that dies just after a year and costs about as much as the drive to replace.

Yes, I do have a LaCie drive I can't use at the moment. How did you know?

1. Fuzz

Did you read the review?

This is a bus powered drive that has no PSU but draws power from the USB port.

I have a LaCie drive that has a PSU and it's just a standard 12V affair it can be replaced for around £5

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

More irresponsible naming than Pocahontas' parents.

Rugged and Hard Drive are two things that should never be associated. This is still in a pretty flimsy case and I have suffered some pretty nasty data loss from one of these while it was in hold luggage transit.

Rugged my ass, the little big disk with its aluminium case is far far more reliable (crappy LaCie PSU aside, but that's for another story, already covered by previous poster) and with RAID0 will actually be able to make use of eSATA bus speed.

This line of rugged LaCie's should be outlawed for irresponsible marketing. And LaCie as a HD manufacturer is greatly over estimated. IMHO.

4. Tim Jenkins

While we're on the subject of ruggedness

can we have the person who came up with the WD 'My Book' enclosure taken out and subjected to all of those Mil-Spec tests, please?

Balancing a 3.5" HDD on its narrow edge and positively encouraging people to place it near their mouse hand may well not have been the greatest design decision ever. Based on 3 (so far) that I've encountered, they tend not to survive being toppled while spinning, and the form factor means it only takes a tiny nudge...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like