back to article Personal data export clauses now in force

New 'model clauses' governing the exporting of personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) have come into force. The new documents update one of the ways in which data can leave the EEA legally. European Union data protection law says that personal data can only be transferred outside of the EEA if it is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Wow.

Something sensible from Europe. How unusual!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

i thought

the current rules were that it can't go outside the EU (or EEC) "without your express permission" regardless of the safeguards in place.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

That's the US stuffed then

n/t

3. Blitz

Maybe not so sensible?

If this covers the sending of personal data outside of the EU how does it affect companies that have web portals that are accessible globally and that display personal data?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SWIFT???

>update one of the ways in which data can leave the EEA legally.

Let me guess, the US administration asks for it. No other reason needed really.

WTF they need inter-european SWIFT data for beats me. It can't be for terrorism because most of that on US soil is by home bred and funded lunatics.

5. Geff

Protection from foreign governments snooping?

How does this provide protection from foreign governments using their local laws, or lack of such, to demand access to the data for their snooping?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

data ownership and You.

"The new clauses also place a demand on the EU organisation which owns the data to keep track of all sub-contracting."

yet again it seems masons manipulates the Facts to suit their long term purpose, in case it s Not clear, You own your data at all times.

You and ONLY You Give, and can take away at any time ,these so called EU organisation's the right to collect this given data that the given purpose Only.

At No time do these EU organisation's Own Your data , they have a licence to collect,process, and store it for given stated contractual purposes Only while you are receiving under a Consumer contract and No longer, services from them.

This topic is closed for new posts.