back to article PS3 owners: This cinema is buff!

Imagine, if you will, the elevator pitch for MUBI: "Art-house streaming Netflix with forums and user ratings.". Nice. That's what you get when you sign up to this new online cinema service. And that's what PS3 owners can get from the Autumn, by way of free downloadable app, "packed to the rafters with acclaimed independent, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CD001

actually

... that's kinda cool - as it stands I download out-of-copyright films (like Metropolis or Nosferatu) from the Internet Archive and stream them over my network to my PS3 - this is a bit like building that functionality right into the PS3.

Though to be fair, I'll probably continue to download it to my media centre PC and stream to my PS3 since a) once it's downloaded I can re-stream it across my network rather than hammering my ISP (and getting throttled) and b) my PS3 has 80GB drive space compared to about 1.5TB on my media centre.

2. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Good Idea

I like the sound of this. If it takes off and we start getting some movies for free (in exchange for watching ads like on VidZone) more partners may jump on board and we can start watching a greater span of movie styles and genres.

From small acorns great oak trees grow (or something).

3. David Haworth

nevermind that

how about getting XBMC as a native app on the PS3? then I'd be seriously interested...

dave

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@David Haworth

Where have you been? You can already do that on the PC.

Of course it's not called XBMC (You know what the X stands for right?)...

1. Mr Spoon

@Anonymous Coward 13:26

The X in XBMC stands for XBMC these days :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can get movie streams now

You can stream loads of movies to your PS3 from blinkbox right now. Works pretty well for me on rural broadband.

6. breakfast Silver badge

TheAuteurs.com?

I hope they gave Luke Haines &co plenty of cash for that name...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

re: @David Haworth

I didn't mean PC, I meant PS3...

Doh...

You can already do that on the PS3....

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and who is Zeferelli?

If you must throw a couple of foreign names, at least you could check how they are spelled. LAZY!

9. Tom 35

A world wide service?

Checks FAQ...

"head to our library to see what’s available in your area..."

So that would be no. But at least it's better then Hulu.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

This looks REALLY good.

Another service on PS3 that's available to ALL owners (not just the select few that are stupid enough to pay Microsoft's subscriptions in addition to content subscriptions).

11. Patrick Ernst

Other OS

Can you run this on a PS3 which has *not* had the update killing the "other OS" function? Can ya, can ya?

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Patrick Ernst

No, of course it won't.

You have taken the choice of being left behind... You can give up the useless OtherOS and catchup whenever you want thou...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like