back to article Site auto-trawls embarrassing Facebook posts

A new site illustrates the privacy perils of users who leave their public updates searchable outside of Facebook. Youropenbook (formerly Facebooksearch) allows interested parties to search for status updates containing potentially embarrassing information such as "playing hooky", "stupid boss" or "control urges" simply by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Employers do searches as well

The internet, and Facebook in particular, are generally checked by employers when they receive resumes (CVs) from applicants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They do indeed

One HR person told me that in these straightened times they reject CV's if *friends* of the candidate openly discuss immoral activities.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Fail-O-rama

LOL bitches!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No technosociophobe comments accepted

Can we please lump all the 'FB is only used by idiots' (or as the Founder so nicely put it 'dumb f****') comments for the story into one slot with an 'expand' button for those masochists who wish to go thru each one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

please lump all the 'FB is only used by idiots' comments into one slot with an 'expand' button

No.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: please lump all the 'FB is only used by idiots' comments into one slot with an 'expand' button

That would be lovely, wouldn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"expand button"

I believe that functionality is present in the "comments" link at the bottom of the article.

Presumably, anyone reading this falls into that masochistic category, and will be slightly annoyed at this posting, which will be inadvertently filed into the "FB used by idiots" category.

4. jake Silver badge

Idiocy abounds.

Why, exactly, people are surprised when all their personal info is available online WHEN THEY INTENTIONALLY MAKE IT AVAILABLE is beyond me ...

Humans, as a class, are fucking idiots.

1. Wibble

But why

Why share the "info" in the first place?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Idiocy abounds.

"Humans, as a class, are fucking idiots."

...are humans a class?

Who is the teacher?

1. LuMan
        Coat

Humans a class?

Are we Java-based..?

Yeah, yeah - I'm getting it now..

2. alwarming

RE: Idiocy abounds

Ms.Bee is the teacher.

3. Jon Double Nice
        Coat

Humans are a race, I think

Cleric, Warrior and stuff like that were classes IRC...

Yes, the one with the D20 in the pocket, ta.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

Humans are a species

Humans are a species, comprised of many races.

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Who is the teacher?

Old adage: "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."

1. jake Silver badge

Teacher?

I can't remember who said it first, but: "Experience is the worst teacher. It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward."

And I think it was J.D.Salinger who wrote "You don't have to think too hard when you talk to teachers."

3. Chris 3

Because...

... they believe that they are making it available to their friends, not the world at large. Simple.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I really cant wait to see facebook

FOAD.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Seems its been broken

by people gameing it and putting all of the key words in there status, therefor meaning that you just get lots of junk. Good on them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Suckerberg

An interesting has-been, no?

8. shade82000
    FAIL

What's it all about?

It it just me who is missing the point of social networking?

I only joined facebook because my sister put up a photo of me when I was a baby. I created an account, looked at the photo, sent her a message telling her to take the photo down and promptly forgot about the site.

Within days I started getting messages from ex-girlfriends, old friends and various other people that I had deliberately not given new phone numbers to over time.

The last people to become friends with me were the closest people to me, the ones I spend the most amount of time with.

I didn't ever feel the need to search for people because it didnt feel right. If I want to speak to a friend I'll phone them or text them. If I don't phone them or text them then chances are I dont want to post a message on their wall for the whole world to see. And I probably cant be arsed with reading their messages either. If I have something to say I will come and say it to you in person. No need to hide

It's about social status. That's why posts are called status updates. It's just another method of self-justification. People feel more important when they can convince themselves that they have a lot of friends.

As a test, disable your facebook account for a couple of days and see how many of your friends ring ou up to ask where you went.

Facebook FOAD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Why make an account?

Why not just TALK TO or PHONE your sister, or send a message via a mutual friend?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Fantastically hypocritical

Why post your opinion to countless anonymous people you don't know on a forum? Why not come and tell us face to face? No need to hide. If you can't phone or text us the chances are we don't want you to post a message on this forum for the whole world to see. We can't be arsed reading your messages.

Is it all about social status? Another method of self-justification? Do you feel more important when you can convince yourself you have a lot of people listening?

etc

There's no difference. Stop kidding yourself you're above it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Yeah, I hate getting messages from ex-girlfriends too. Especially the ones that start out with "Dear Daddy"...

9. David 164

What a load of rubbish

Actually the facebook settings are far easier to set up, my 9 year niece manage to do it herself in five minutes, facebook profile completly lock down, she gave up trying to programme a vcr after 10 minutes, a little experiment I did especially for this site an the article .

Fact is people are lazy an will not spend the five minutes it takes to lock down a facebook profile to keep everything private, there fault not facebook.

Yeah may be what I am doing is taking the lazy open source approach, it aint the software it the users, but then again a nine year old girl can do it, so I cannot understand while these supposedly privacy expert, IT experts find it so hard to do, may be they have a alterior to make it seem hard to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not that it's hard...

It's just bloody frustrating when they always add new options that you have to lock down. Especially if the default is "fuck it, make my shit public" and no one tells you your profile has been wide open for several days. Even Fuckerburg was caught out by it when he changed the privacy settings on everyone's pictures. Are his pictures public now though? Are they fuck. He changed his personal settings back to private, after embarrassing himself, and the millions of others he caught out with his websites nasty little stunt.

THAT's why people complain. It's like selling someone a bicycle then constantly breaking in to their house to add an extra wheel or take one off so that they wake up in the morning with a fucking unicycle or something. It's just not on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

What's a VCR?...

...ask her to program your Sky+ and I'm sure everything will be fine...

10. Craig 12
    WTF?

itt: people who don't get facebook

Like the guy above... oh noes, some old friends contacted him. On facebook, so easily ignored.

Yes, some idiots use facebook for ego/status. So do some people with cars and clothes. That's why I never drive anywhere or wear clothes.

1. John Lilburne

All well and good

except that these sites are opting you in to applications you never signed up for. Now if they added the features and required people to opt in to them fine.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

Just went on there and one of the recent searches was "citrix" lol you can tell el reg readers have been on there then.

"oooh I wonder who's been naughty and used citrix"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Am I the only person....

...here who actually acknowledges that he uses FB, doesn't post vast screes of personal data (in fact I don't think there's any personal data on it beyond name), doesn't try and "friend" every idiot who tries to link to him, isn't gripped by some dark sociopathic (or in my case masochistic) urge to track down ex-girl friends (they're ex's for a frickin' reason) and generally thinks "meh" and ignores everything going on on FB?

It's just another email system. If you don't want people to know everything about you, don't tell them. It's kinda like life in that respect.

Love the pointless frickin' whinging from people who claim not to use it. Why bitch if it has sod all to do with you?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yes, you are

The other people who "generally think[s] "meh" and ignores everything going on on FB" are the ones who do not have a FaceBook account.

And, for email, FaceBook is now an email system ? If that is the case, then why on Earth do you specifically choose the most sewer-laden system in the world when you go with, heck, even Hotmail would be better at this point ?

Finally, concerning the "bitching", well, we're on the Internet. What did you do here if not bitch as well, but on another tack ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Facebook is an email system to many people

Get over it.

"why on Earth do you specifically choose the most sewer-laden system in the world"...

Some people only send messages out on facebook. Some people only use facebook to stay in touch. So, if you want to hear from those people, you join facebook or miss out.

Some people use facebook to send out work calls (audtions, interview notices, etc) that they don't send out on other systems, email or otherwise. Join a couple of casting groups on facebook and look at the thousands of pounds/dollars of work they do through it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why bitch if it has sod all to do with you?

Why?

I'll tell you why because it's all we ever hear about - end-less Facebook faggotry articles on a daily basis not only on this site but also on BBC News.

3. Lamont Cranston

I'm with you.

But most of my facebook friends are people who I have very little to do with in the real world, so I'm obviously a bad person.

13. Gavin Jamie
    Joke

I miss NTK

and in particular the "Puerile Google mispellings" feature

http://willmoffat.github.com/FacebookSearch/?q=angels+prostate

14. Mos Eisley Spaceport
    FAIL

I've never really bothered with FB till now...

Looking at that collector search, I can see why now.

15. Jamie Kitson

erm

There's a much better UI for this at... http://facebook.com

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=rectal%20exam&gl=1&lo=en_GB

1. Piro Silver badge

You need an account, though

Which is not needed for Openbook!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

I just love the fact...

...that all the people who slagged me off for using Livejournal are now glued to TwitBook before they even take a piss in the morning.

17. Mike Bird 1
    Welcome

i facebook, you facebook, they giggle in hysterical laughter

What amazes me is the people who DO NOT enable security.

Its the whole "yeah I'm tellin' the whole world about my [medical condition | life | unauthorised work absence]".

For {insert deity} sake .. enable the security and restrict it to FRIENDS ONLY !

18. Tom 13

I CAN program a VCR, even the old kind

where you needed to set date, start time, stop time, and channel. I'm still not sure my FaceBook setting are locked down. More because FB keeps changing them from the defaults I set ages ago than because of an inability to know how I want them set.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Tom 13

Ah! but you recorded that movie for me in longplay mode and my VCR does not support it..

19. Eddy Ito
    Black Helicopters

FaceBook Idiots

The new FBI

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like